I'm Black, but I don't like being around other Black people...am I a racist?

I grew up in mostly black neighborhoods and went to school with mostly blacks, and let me tell you, they were some of the meanest people on the face of the earth! They would tease me till I cried DAILY. They would throw rocks at me, try to trip me, try to grab my boobs, etc. I was glad that the high school I went to was 66% white (in a white neighborhood- we were bussed). I made lots of non black friends, and actually started to hate black people.

Fast forward to 2009. My neighborhood used to be slmost all white, but now other blacks are moving in! The whole dynamic of the neighborhood has changed! Now we have to deal with finger-popping, gum-snapping, ghetto-dressing, ebonics-speaking blacks!! I hate it. I hate leaving my house anymore. I don't want anyone to think I'm like one of them. The only thing

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Relationships

• i actually have a hispanic best friend who is the same way, she hates spanish people & black people and wishes she was white. i agree that their are shitty white people, black people, and spanish people and then there are awesome white people, black people, and spanish people so i dont say i hate EVERY black person or whatever. i judge person to person but, in my life, ive had two very close friends who were black girls, and they were awesome, i loved them but in most of my experience, black people have been racist towards me because i was white, or theyve robbed me, or started fights with me etc. so sometimes i dont like to be around black people or i say i dont like them or whatever. sometimes you cant help but stereotype to an extent. but in the end, what it really comes down to is that most people suck, no matter what race they are, and occasionally you find an awesome one. but no, i wouldnt consider you racist.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:36 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• CONTINUED: Am I a racist? I'm just saying how I feel. I don't feel that way towards my own family, just other blacks. Sometimes I wish I was white.
    Anonymous

• I'm sorry that you feel that way. I know some wonderful black people as well as awful ones, but I have also experienced the same with my own race as well. I don't think that it makes you racist but you know that you don't want to be around it and you don't want your kids around the ghetto people as well. I wish you luck as you come to peace with yourself.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Maybe you should seek counseling...it is unhealthy to hate your own race. All black/brown (I hate the term black) are not the same just like ll caucasians are not the same. There are ghetto people in all races!
    Brickhouse95

Answer by Brickhouse95 at 9:05 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I don't think what you're feeling is racism. I bet if any ethnic group did those things to you, you would dislike them. Perhaps changing your outlook to staying away from cruel, mean, toxic people, whatever their skin color may be should be your focus, not just blacks.
    I'm half black and have to admit, i have been weary of black people in the past, until I met some that were very giving, educated and all around good people. Not ghetto or cruel at all.
    Just like not all white people are white trash, not all black people are ghetto.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 9:43 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I am not so sure, if these people were white would you still dislike them? If they were Mexican would you still dislike them? I think its more of the lifestyle than the color. Right?
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 9:47 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• disliking bad behavior isn't a racist thing

Answer by admckenzie at 10:36 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• YAh I agree with the ladies...You don't like how they act and the things they do. You are just steriotyping.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:24 PM on Jul. 20, 2009