Reserve or Active for the army, whats your opinion or personal experience?

My husband is thinking of joining the army & we can't decide to go active right off the bat or start in by the reserve to see what it's like. Any comments will help thanks a bunch!!!

mdhart03

Asked by mdhart03 at 8:49 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Money & Work

• I have a friend who is in the reserve. He only has to go one or two weekends a month and that's all. I'd say if you have a family, that'd probably be the way to go.
    Anonymous

• Just remember a Reservist can be called to active duty at any time. It is a tough life for families but it can and does work. My husband did 30 years in the Navy. He was gone a lot, I raised kids alone, alot..but he was always there emotionally for me and when he was home..he was HOME helping. It isn't 9-5. They are on call 24/7. If you are a confident, independant woman you will be fine. Understand making the committment is a big one. You can't just quit ifd you don't like it. I am not trying to discourage you..only making sure you really understand. It is tough, and exciting, and full of pride..if you do it for the right reasons. If it is just a paycheck and job security you will probably be unhappy.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I sent you a message
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 9:12 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• My husband is active, and its hard, but I at least expect deployment. Reserves can be called at any time. on little notice. I know a time frame a year before hand. I dont mind the life, its hard like I said, but never dull.
    AshlieTolliver

Answer by AshlieTolliver at 9:28 PM on Jul. 20, 2009