My 5.5 month boy takes maximum of 10 oz in 24 days and is refusing bottle and formula

I desperately need help here.My 5.5 month boy has always been a fussy feeder. Since last 3 weeks he is totally rejecting formula or expressed breast milk bottle and wants to feed directly on breast. He was exclusively breast fed until 3 months and then I introduced him to bottle and formula during evening and night feeds, as I had to go back to evening school. He would take the bottle then but lately he is refusing anything in the bottle.

I have tried changing nipples, bottles, sippy cups and even straight from spoon or cup, but nothing seems to be working for me. I am trying 3rd type of formula in 3 weeks time now.

Not sure why he is doing that, as definitely its not the taste of milk as he is refusing breast milk too. We have tried feeding him during sleep but that too failed. Is there anything I could do to make him accept the bottle again.
I started him on little bit of solids too last week.Any suggestions are welcome

kishmish05

Asked by kishmish05 at 9:00 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Some breastfed babies won't take a bottle. They are smart and know what the real thing is. He can breastfeed and bring back your supply.

If you are only gone for four hours you don't need to worry about leaving milk. He can go that long without.

He could start eating sweet potato. Microwave a sweet potatoe, mash with fork, and spoon feed. My grandson loves sweet potato. He can drink water from a sippy cup or a regular cup. What my grandson likes best is one of the Tupperware kids bell tumblers with the tupper seal lid with a slit cut near one edge to drink from. So he could have the sweet potato just once a day while you are at school replacing one feeding.

For good info on starting solids with a brestfeeding baby go to kellymom.com
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 9:19 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• MOST breastfed babies will not take a bottle when mom is home...heres the deal nurse when youa re together, forget the bottles....when you are away baby will eat when hungry, leave the bottle and whatever you want him to take BM or formula(BM tastes better btw) and just go. If baby is hungry baby will take it, you know baby can so he'll be fine. ALSO your baby may reverse cycle, which means eat less when you are gone and nurse more when you are home..its great for supply, easier on a pumping mom and baby is fine on little to nothing when mom is away. My son took 4 oz in 8 hours. Don't starve your baby to get him to take the bottle unless you never plan on nursing again, give him the breast and save the bottle for other people to give when you aren't around.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Babies can smell 4x better than we can. If you are in the house, he knows. If you are in the room, he smells your milk. If he wants it he will let you know and sounds like he is. Other people may be able to give him the breast milk when you are not around. My girl is 7 months and she has always eaten more in the morning when she wakes up and right before bed at night. Don't stress yourself over it. Rice cereal may be a good idea at this stage while you are gone. Also, my daughter started drinking out of a glass the day she turned 4 months old. If I have it, she wants it. I'm not saying you should drink from the bottle, but maybe put the milk in a glass.
    brittneysmom31

Answer by brittneysmom31 at 3:25 AM on Jul. 21, 2009