Any "legal / law" type people out there?

I'm taking a business course and we were given two U.S. Supreme Court cases to read over for our assignment due this Friday.

I have never read a legal case in my life and the endless pages seem daunting to me. Are there any guidelines or tips you can offer me? Is there a quick and easy way to read a case without missing important information?

I have a feeling this is going to be a nightmare. Please help guide me.
Thank you.

PrydferthMenyw

Asked by PrydferthMenyw at 9:07 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'm not an attorney, but I do have a degree in finance and spent several years working as a Trust Officer in a bank so I am familiar with legal paperwork. You are right, it can be daunting and the language often just seems silly. I used to wonder why they couldn't just "talk!" Go through them a paragraph at a time and take breaks. Don't forget to take notes and read everything more than once. Once you get familiar with the language used it won't be so daunting.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:38 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I don't have legal experience but I do know attorneys and they say that you have to read everything because it is easy to miss something or something that you skip over could make or break a case.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:26 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Thank you ladies - you are both wonderful! I listened to a lecture and read through some smaller cases in our course book so I'm ready to tackle these "big boys."
    I appreciate your posts and helpfulness. ♥
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:30 AM on Jul. 21, 2009