My daughter is 4 1/2 months old, I have begun to introduce solids. I would like some advice on how much she should be eating a day? How much cereal, veggies, formula (oz. per day)?

becky0679

Asked by becky0679 at 9:15 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You shouldn't be introducing solids until after six months. I would wait.
    Anonymous

• my son was eating maybe the equivalent of 15 baby spoonfuls of cereal and then 3-4oz of formula.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 9:16 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• My sons Dr. said to wait until 4 months for jar food and cereal. If you're not sure ask the pediatrician. just dont make the cereal too thick.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 9:17 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Anon is full of crap. Babies can eat rice cereal at 4 months and than start to introduce fruits/veggies at about 5 months. That's what my doc told me and that's what's in the books.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 9:18 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• my son's pedi told me to wait until he was 6 months to feed him jar food but I started a lil already.
    effie777

Answer by effie777 at 9:22 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Really, I am full of crap...do some research!

"Starting solid foods is a big step in an infant’s development and many parents are excited to help their baby experience new flavors and food textures. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends waiting until an infant is at least 6 months old before introducing any solid foods, including first cereals. It is not uncommon for pediatricians and family members to encourage parents to begin feeding their infant solid foods at 4 months and younger, but before an infant reaches 6 months (and often much older) solid foods are not nutritionally necessary for an infant’s healthy growth and development."http://infantstoddlers.suite101.com/article.cfm/is_your_baby_ready_for_solid_food

Anonymous

• With my oldest daughter they told me 4 months old to start...she's now 4 years old. But when my youngest (who is now 2) was getting ready they said to wait until 6 months. That they changed the ages for introducing solids because of allergies becoming more common. If you're unsure talk to your doctors they will know better than the moms here who will debate it until the grave.
    Anonymous

• Signs That Your Baby is Ready for Solids

Before you feed your baby solid foods, it is important to make sure that your infant is developmentally ready to start solids. Your baby should reach all of the following milestones before starting solid foods:

* Sits with support and has good head control
    * Has doubled his birth weight and weighs at least 13 pounds
    * Acts hungry after 8-10 breastfeeding sessions or 32 ounces of formula a day
    * Has lost the tongue thrust reflex and is able to swallow food

Anonymous

• "Optimal Nutrition and Introducing Solid Foods Early It is a known fact that breast milk, and even formula, contains the proper combination of essential nutrients to sustain a baby's healthy growth and development well into the 9 month age range or longer. While your grandmother may have been fed rice and milk gruel at 2 weeks of age, science now tells us that solid foods should not replace breast milk or formula too early. Introducing solid foods early will deprive a baby of these crucial nutrients and also replace the amounts of breast milk or formula a baby needs.

"Exclusive breastfeeding for the first 6 mo of life followed by optimal complementary feeding are critical public health measures for reducing and preventing morbidity and mortality in young children." American Journal of Clinical Nutrition - Feb. 2007"

Anonymous

• Anonymous