Do you take your CAT(s) to the vet?

i want to get a couple kitties for our new home. I've only had dogs in the past and KNOW you must take them for vax and such every year.

What about kittens? MUST one take them to the vet? If so, for what? How much does it cost per yr?

BTW we live in FL and they would be INDOOR kitties w no access to other animals, if that matters.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Pets

• Yes they need their annual checkups and shots. Some of the shots are every three years, I think one may be yearly. Our cats are indoors only cats also, which we feel is best for the cats, having had one killed by a fox and one poisoned, besides our cats now don't have worms, fleas, or ticks. Disease can be carried on shoes, or if the cats ever did get out they'd be exposed. See what your vet advises about shots where you live. Don't forget about neutering. It depends on what the vet charges. I'd say after initial shots and neutering that we spend maybe $100 a year or a little more on vet bills per cat unless the cats get sick.

Answer by Bmat at 9:32 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Yep! Cats/kittens (even indoor ones) still need to have check-up and shots as well as being spayed or neutered.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:57 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I take mine in every year for a check up and shots. I get a paper from the vet that says they have had their rabies shots, so it makes me wonder if they're legally supposed to have their rabies shots up to date.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:54 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I took my cat to the vet every year for shots.

Now that she's older (17 and going strong!), I take her in twice a year for a body checkup (the vet feels her for lumps/etc.) and a blood/urine test (to check the kidneys and bladders for infections).
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 2:03 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• OP- Thanks girls! i guess i will have to factor that in when i get our "free" kitten lol... again thanks for answering :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• You need to take them in for their first checkup and a shot, then I think it's like 2 more kitten shots, then they are good to go till they get neutered/spayed at which time they wil get a rabies shot. After that once a year for a quick checkup, annual vax and rabies shot. Unless they get ill or something that's all you need, once a year, and it's not very expensive. I don't know where you live, but around here the annual 4-way and rabies shot are $10. each and the checkup is free, so my cat only costs $20. a year as far as vet goes. (My dog costs quite a bit more.)
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:02 PM on Jul. 21, 2009