Buying alcohol and cigarettes while pregnant

I am 27 weeks pregnant, and went to the store to buy some things for dinner and the house, while i was there my friend asked if i could pick him up a 12pk of corona and a pack of smokes. (i bought some non-alocoholic for me) I said no problem and when i was in the check out the cashier was being really rude and the woman behind me said "are you seriously buying beer and cigarettes when your pregnant?" It really made me mad, i said " actually the non alcoholic is for me and the other stuff is for my friend and i think you should mind your buisness" I know that was rude for me to say, but it really irritated me...
Do you think it is WRONG for pregnant people to purchase this stuff? Its not like im the one drinking and smoking! and i was already at the store!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It's only wrong if you are buying it for yourself. You weren't rude, she was and I would have responded the same way. That's what she gets for assuming.

Anonymous

• Gosh no! I got beer for my hubby occasionally and for my step-dad. Luckily, no one ever said anything, but if they had, I would've said exactly what you said, if not more!

I hate people that just assume things like that.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 9:28 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• nah, i bought alcohol and ciggerates for my SO when i was pregnant. who cares what those people say, u know whats going on.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• No it's not wrong. If you are buying it for someone else (as long as the person is of legal age) then I don't see a problem with it. I agree, that woman should have minded her own business. That was rude! Good for you for standing your ground.
    tkobabe

Answer by tkobabe at 9:31 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I would have said the same thing and though it isnt anyones business, if they ask, it's ok to let them know you arent that stupid (buying it for yourself). just like guys buying tampons, is he buying them for himself, or perhaps his mother, girlfriend or female roommate lol. my BF smokes and a few times asked me to pick him up some smokes while I was out and I refused every time because I didnt want others to judge me, but thats just me. if someone came up to me and assumed I was buying them for myself, I would have gladly told them "no"
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:33 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• LOL that same thing happened to me! except i just went to the store to buy margarita mix and tequila, virgins for me and regulars for everyone else! The person almost wouldnt sell it to me, some young girl... she went to the back and asked her manager! NO JOKE! i couldnt believe it
    ScEmz

Answer by ScEmz at 9:34 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Seriously why do complete strangers do that to a person in public? You don't owe her an explaination. I have never had that happen to me but my sister-in-law and brother had a New Years Eve party and she wemt to buy all the beer, Southern Comfort, Tequila etc. and she said that a lady just looked at her cart and then gave her a dirty look.
    Mamasita98

Answer by Mamasita98 at 9:40 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• You're a better person than me. I think I would have turned around, looked her dead in the eye and said "As a matter of fact, I am, but you'll have to excuse me because I'm in a hurry to meet my pimp down the street so we can go pick up some crack. Have a great day!"
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 9:43 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• It's actually illegal to not sell alcohol to a pregnant women. So that's insane someone would ask their manager. We can be prego & still buy alcohol or smokes, dosen't mean it's for us. I would have said the exact same thing that you did!!
    jfblaine

Answer by jfblaine at 9:48 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I actually had a woman in a store knock a pack of cigarettes out of my hand a few weeks ago. I was buying them for my DH and she was extremely rude and yelled at me for buying cigarettes while pregnant, but I just ignored her. The woman behind the counter called security for me. Some people make stupid assumptions. I would ignore them!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 9:50 PM on Jul. 20, 2009