roseola in toddlers

my 14 month old DD had a high fever (104 F) for three days, we took her to the doctor and she was tested for a bladder infection (which she did not have). He said it might be Roseola and that after the fever broke, she'd develop a rash if it was Roseola. Last night, her fever finally broke. Today, she has a heat rash (prickly heat) looking rash all over her body. Is that what Roseola looks like?

We are leaving for vacation in a few days and I want to make sure she is better (she seems fine now other than the rash) before traveling. I had never even heard of Roseola till the doctor mentioned it!

rachelsmommy78

Asked by rachelsmommy78 at 9:31 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes! My son had the same thing. We called the doctor on call because of the high fever three nights in a row and he told us to go to the ER, and they didn't know what it was. Then he broke out in the rash that you describe and which was diagnosed as roseola. It was a while ago, but I am pretty sure that after the rash came that he no longer felt sick. Check with your doctor about whether your little one will be OK to go on a trip?

Answer by Bmat at 9:41 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• My daughter had it too. Her rash was all over her belly and face. She didn't even know she had a rash, it wasn't itchy or anything. Once the fevers broke she felt like herself again.
    madelines_mom

Answer by madelines_mom at 11:25 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Sounds like roseola. If the rash becomes itchy, just give her a soothing bath with maybe oatmeal, or calamine lotion if needed. My daughter had that around 8 months.
    DreaKevAiyana

Answer by DreaKevAiyana at 12:34 PM on Jul. 21, 2009