seperation anxiety and falling asleep

My 15m dd is going through separation anxiety and while it started a couple weeks ago, its worsened by the fact that we started putting her to bed and naps while she was awake. She took it well at first (for a baby who could scream for two hours straight on a car ride) but now she's absolutely panicked. The reason we started this is because us putting her down resulted in her rolling around, poking us in the eye and generally doing everything to stay awake. When it became obvious that we were more of a hinderance than help, we just put her in her crib...and I felt good about it. But now I think its making her anxiety worse. Its only been a week, but she has changed much more suddenly than you would expect for a new phase coming on and it really seems linked to this sleep routine. If you've gone through this, what do you do to help anxiety and keep an emotionally healthy sleep routine?

mrs_pulley

Asked by mrs_pulley at 9:42 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wow, sorry that is tough, but I would keep up with the crib sleeping for your health. Is the crib in a seperate room? I would keep it in the same room with you for the first little while, to get used to sleeping in it, but knowing mom and dad are still nearby. Then once she gets used to it, move to a seperate room. At that point I would put her down and then have a nice rocking chair or something you can sit in and read or whatever so you're still close by while she's going to sleep, but then you can sleep restfully in your own bed. It takes time, and seperation anxiety I would have to say is the worst stage they will go through, but it will pass!!
    Good luck!
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 9:45 PM on Jul. 20, 2009