Did you have a problem with your dog getting jealous of your new baby? (posted in pets too)

I don't have this problem currently but I have been told it happens and i was wondering if you had the problem or if your dog was just interested in the new baby?
I am due in December with my first baby and i want to make sure i am prepared because my dog has been "the baby" for the last 2 years so I am curious if she will get jealous. I do have a plan that when i just want to hold my baby just because, i will pick up the dog instead because i do not want a baby that i cant put down, I have seen that happen way too often.

Alie1313

Asked by Alie1313 at 9:45 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• While at the hospital, daddy brought home one of baby's blankets so dog could get used to the smell. when brought her home, he was actually a fraid of her. He's still a little jealous but plays well. I took him to pets mart for training long before we decided to have the baby. Best thing I ever did. Most of the commands I learned worked well. we refreshed him on "park it" which is where we have him go lay on the other side of the room. so if he was too excited or in the way we'd say park it and he'd leave us be. then lots of praise when we were done. basic sit, stay and leave it (for dropped food) have been great too!
    Anonymous

• ur dog will get used to it, why would you pick up ur dog just because and not ur baby. a lil backwards? maybe not? But ur dog is just that a dog should never be put above ur baby. if ur dog ends up getting jealous put it in its place, ur dog may test its place in the house by trying to come before the baby and getting more attention but you should make it clear that

1st = BABY
    2nd = youo and hubby
    3rd = dog

or ur gonna have hell when ur baby is older and the dog thinks its running $#!T
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 9:49 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Raydar my chiuahuaha was my first baby! I loved him to peices. . When i got late in pregnancy he got EVEN MORE protective of me, my DH even got snaped at alot! Then when dd was born, he would come & sit in my lap & pee on me. he started peeing on all of her stuff. and he was protective over both of us, but i was afraid of leaving him alone with her...
    When dd was 10mo we said ENOUGH! DD was starting to walk & it was getting very stressful so sadly we decided to give Ray away. Thankfully my MIL is a dog lover & took him... My dd can now safely go to MIL & they can co-exist on the weekends. and I can still see him on occasion, though its still hard, almost 3yrs later...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:53 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I was afraid with my first I have a huskey (nimitz) and a pom/jack mix (Buddy). and I didn't let them near him for the longest time. But when I did buddy was so clumsy and a hyper dog he'd sometime end up sitting on him or jumping on the couch when my son was on the couch but after a while he be came really gental and sometimes stays away from my son. As for Nimitz he didnt do anything but smell him and now a very hyper toddler is climbing pulling and jumping all over him. And when my second son came home I just let them smell him and it took a while for buddy to come and see him but he went and smelled my son days later and Nimitz licked his foot and always sits near him not close but near him like when his in crib and playpen. As for the diapers be careful Nimtz loved the newborn poop
    mommyofone0724

Answer by mommyofone0724 at 12:24 AM on Jul. 21, 2009