At what age would you let your child pursue modeling or acting?

My parents have always been of the mind that when we could make our own decison we could do but niether me nor my sister were ever interested adnthey did not push it.. My 12 yr old brother however is very charasmstic and outgoing and an opportuntiy came up in our area an open casting call (LEGIT COMPANY)
and he is so excited.. but he also understands that its only chance and knows not to get his hopes up adn taht he is good at MANY things.. I feel the same way my parents that they should be able to make their chocie about it.. not saying i would make my kids wait til 12 but just when they could tell me they wanted to do it..if they did i would never push them.. just wondering how others felt

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 10:04 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• Honestly, I think when my kids turn 18 and want to pursue it as a job, that's fine (if that's what they really want to do). Otherwise, I most likely will not let them. I just don't like the idea of them learning bad eating habits or superficial things from it. I would like to think I could still steer them in the right direction, but it's just easier focusing on school and healthy living without modeling getting in the way. I know a lot of moms will probably say it can be good for their self esteem, but I say getting good grades, doing well at sports or art or music is also good for their self esteem.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 10:09 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• i would let them whenever they want. shit, im trying to get him into modeling now and hes only 8 weeks old! ha =)
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:12 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Agreed. My brother is also top of his class and in football and marching band... but i see what you are saying that is not the case for every one and i know parents if he was failing in school they would say no
    JrsMommy07

Answer by JrsMommy07 at 10:12 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I am thinking about putting my daughter in acting classes when she's old enough (I believe they start them at 6) and letting her do Children's Theater or something along that line, but I don't think I would ever encourage her further than that. She's a very dramatic child and I think it would be a great creative outlet for her. But I want her to have a fairly normal childhood. When she's older, if it's something she's serious about, I'll think about it, but I would prefer that she wait if that's what she really wants.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 7:57 AM on Jul. 21, 2009