Can someone let me know whats going on? Will she have to go back and get the new one lanced?

Does anyone know if all boils have to be cut out? Because my DD just had one cut out last night and all the research I found say that a warm conpress several times a day will allow it to come to a head and drain it.. but if thats the case, is she going to have to get it lanced and the prescription not work for the new one thats still forming. Im sorry I am really worried, she screamed so loud in the ER last night and shes only 13 months old. They had to restrain her. I feel like this is my fault, like I unknowingly exposed her to this and now she is in pain because of me. Can she die from this? Im worried sick.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Health

• Highly unlikely that she will die from it. I would just keep doing what the doctor said and hope for the best. I just lanced a blister on my finger and I am hoping it doesn't grow back. It didn't hurt to lance the blister, it was the after wards that hurt. If possible, give her Ibuprofen for the pain. I hope she feels better really soon. And, Mama, it is NOT your fault.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/Epidemiology/Surveillance/MRSA/#ManagementandTreatment

See if this helps you any. You did NOT do this to your child. Be strong now momma. Hold it together.

SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• This is a wait and see thing. We are not doctors, even if we were we could not knowingly give a diagnosis' based on what info you have given.
    I understand that you are worried and upset by it, but please call your doctor and ask him. Just like we can't tell if people are pregnant before they take a test, we can't tell you what you want to know.

Best of luck. i REALLY HOPE YOUR LITTLE ONE IS BETTER SOON.
    Anonymous

• Did they leave the boil open to drain when they lanced it? Did they tell you go give her anything for pain?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:21 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• They left it open with a ribbon type of gauze hanging out of it to keep it draining. I am supposed to give her infants tylenol for the pain and keep her on the bactrim for 10 days. I am not to worried about the one she had cut open at this point, I am just crossing my fingers that the bactrim cures the infection and that one wil heal. Its the new one that I pointed out and they werent sure about, its grown since last night and I just dont want her to go through another traumatic experience like last night. I asked the doctor today what would happen to the other one and he even said we have to wait and see. I just, okay i am asking you, as her physician and you are telling me you dont know, my baby is in pain.
    Anonymous

• The problem is THEY DON'T KNOW. I know that is hard for you to accept. She might need to get it lanced. She might not. Do EVERYTHING they tell you to do. And calm down. I have been dealing with this with various family members for years. Follow the doctors orders and if it keeps getting bigger then take her back in.
    She won't neccesarily get a fever because of the tylenol. You will have to watch it. Draw a circle around it with a sharpie. If it gets bigger then the circle than take her back in. If it gets smaller then the antibiotics may be working.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:46 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• That sharpie idea is great!
    Anonymous

• I've never taken my son to a doctor for a boil. We used the warm compresses, waited for it to come to a head (usually four to five days) and let it drain on it's own. Just be sure to keep the area as clean as you can. If I'm not mistaken, it's the pus that drains out that is infectious.

It must be hard to have to deal with this especially with such a young baby. Keep your chin up, hang in there, and keep us posted on how things are going.
    happy1mom

Answer by happy1mom at 11:26 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Can you ask them to do a culture of the pus they drain if they do it again? Bactrim is good for many different bacteria, but if she keeps having a problem you want to know if she has one that is resistant.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:33 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• There is an ointment called, Ichthammol. , a drawing salve, over the counter at Walgreens. I used it on a big boil on my neck that I was going to get lanced, but tried it, and it popped after a few hours , I taped a gauze over it to seal it in. but its black and smells really strong like roof tar. and I dont know if it could be used on a baby, you would have to ask a Dr.
    Brittsmama

Answer by Brittsmama at 2:11 AM on Jul. 21, 2009