Overcoming Jealous People

So I work with a girl that's jealous about just about everything. If her day is starting our crappy and I walk in with a smile and a "good morning", she turns the other way. She's only happy when she gets her way, and during those "happy" times, engages in conversation with me like I was her BFF. She tells me stories of how jealous she is of her brother in laws upcoming marriage stating that it's "not fair" that they are announcing their engagement when me and my husband just got married 2 mo's ago. What to say/ how to behave around people like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Money & Work

• Do you want to change her behavior or just not be her friend?
    danichaos

Answer by danichaos at 10:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I don't think you can. You should just find ways to deal with it. There are people that you won't get along with at every job.
    honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 10:28 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Sadly we are "team leaders" in my line of work, and my boss is not making changes any time soon. So, would love to be her friend, but, it seems I have to tiptoe around her moods. Just wondering if people like this love bringing others down, or do they love sucking the life out of happy carefree people?
    Anonymous

• I still stand by my previous statement. You just have to find your own way to deal with it while remaining professional.

honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 10:36 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Just keep the conversation short and try to avoid her. I don't tolerate people that are too negative and if pushed tell her you just don't want to talk about the negative all the time because it is draining. If she cannot understand that is her problem. People can't expect others to just be unhappy and hold their tongue. I believe in trying first and then just cutting them off if they seem to not care.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 2:13 AM on Jul. 21, 2009