EXTREME rib pain @ 30 weeks

So i;ve already asked my dr about this, since my rib is numb, and she said the baby is on a nerve probably...and i called again and she said it was hurting jsut because of the way he ws laying/kicking, but i am in unbearable pain no matter what i do! It wasnt constant at first, but now it NEVER goes away! its just my right side, and its numb, and feels like a huge bruise and burning all the time! nothing relieves the pain...i can tell when he kicks my other rib on the left side, and it hurts, but is no where near the pain i have on my other side. It brings me to tears every single day! Do any of you still think its just the way the baby is laying, or could be something else? he is already upside down, and his feet stay up there toward my ribs, but GOODNESS i cant find any answers =(

StacyDeAnn

Asked by StacyDeAnn at 10:31 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It could be your ribs spreading apart . I had alot of rib pain but my DD never was underneath or kicked my ribs
    Anonymous

• My sister was having a lot of pain like that. No doctors could figure it out and after years of tests and procedures she talked to this doctor friend who had the same problem and it turned out to be an iron deficiency, which is totally weird because you wouldn't think it would hurt your ribs like that. Now whenever it hurts she eats a steak and it feels better. Do you know if your iron is low? Try eating some foods high in iron and see if that helps.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 10:42 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Have they checked your gallbladder? Is it worse after you eat fatty foods? Have you have any bowel problems?
    I would ask your doc to check your gallbladder, it is an easy ultrasound, then you will know for sure.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:45 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• We didnt check my gallbladder, but i have mentioned it, and had 3 u/s since then, do u think they would jusst notice if something was wrong in there if it were?
    StacyDeAnn

Answer by StacyDeAnn at 10:47 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• If they were U/Sing the baby, they probably wouldn't be looking for a GB problem. I would ask them to do a specific one for the GB.
    Good luck and let us know what they find.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:51 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• IF they think its your gallbladder tell them when they do the ultrasound to let you roll then have them do it. I felt like my chest was going to explode. I had very small pieces of gravel in my gallbladder. So whenever my dd kicked or stretched I felt like I was going to die it hurt so bad. They only way they found it though was because I rolled on the table (with help lol) so the lady could check a diff angle since she didn't see anything. WHen she put it back on she saw a little bit and had me roll again. IT was like a snow globe. I had to suffer threw it until a month after I had my daughter to get it takin out. IT was awful!
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 11:53 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• omgg im 30w2d and ive been experiencing this for about 2 weeks now and doc wont do nothing for it. its constant and the worse thing about being pregnant BY FAR for me. the only time it goes away for me (and this doesnt always work) is when i lay flat on my back for a while. I do have anemia and i was looking at the iron comments below and thought maybe this does have something to do with it. but i am taking supplements. If i find anything that helps ill deff let you know because trust me i feel for you! im going through the EXACT same thing!
    ashleyattack

Answer by ashleyattack at 3:26 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• i have this exact thing but on my left side. my DR was stumped as well but gave me a prescripton for lidocane topical gel and it seems to numb it. i'm sorry your going thru this b/c i am too and it completely sucks.
    samantha21385

Answer by samantha21385 at 9:33 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I have this exact same thing. It's my right side and it's a constant numb/stabbing/burning pain in my ribs. I asked twice and all I got was the whole "it's how the baby is laying" or "he's on your nerves." Finally she felt it yesterday and said that it is an inflamed rib. There is nothing that you can really do, but take tylenol b/c we can't take ibprofen. With me, Ice made it hurt more afterwards.

The heating pad on my back works the best. It still hurts but it makes it hurt less. I hope this helps some and know that you aren't alone.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 9:48 AM on Jul. 31, 2009