do i dare to daycare?

okay here's the deal. dh and i are talking about me getting a job. i haven't even began to look into daycare's, but i was wondering if ya'll who do pay for daycare, could tell me what the "normal" cost a month for a 5 yr old is. she's not old enough for kinder this year and only half day pre k. if i work she'll have to go to daycare and i am trying to figure out if it's worth putting her in to work, or if i'll just end up spending the money that i'll make.

Peanut_Farley

Asked by Peanut_Farley at 10:35 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Money & Work

• I am with ToriandGrace, where I live (Connecticut) people pay between $100- and $250 pre WEEK! My SIL is bringing her son to a home daycare and got a great deal at $400 per week. That's why I am not working right now. We can't afford the full time child care on my salary! My SIL has a career, gets paid well, and loves her work. So it makes sense for them, but not for us.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:27 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• If she is already 5 why isnt she old enough for kindergarden? Anyway, my SO's son is in daycare and his ex pays 125 a week for him. I am also lookin into day care and have found a woman who does it out of her home, she charges 100 a week, up to 45 hours a week.... or 125 per week for up to 50 hrs...
    Anonymous

• I guess depends on where you live, here in Northern KY, my gd goes to daycare only after school and her mom pays $85 a week, she is 10. Another gs, whom I watch instead of daycare, was going to cost $180 a week, when he was 2. It does seem if a mom goes to work she ends up paying all or most of her check for daycare.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 10:40 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• money isnt even what i worry about when it comes to day care, its illness. i know a woman who put her daughter in day care when she was 3 years old, her daughter got bacterial menengitas (sp?) from one of the other kids and almost died, had to get both of her arms and one of her legs cut off to stop the infection. my son will not be in daycare!
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:41 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• anon she'll be 5 in november, i was just rounding up the number.
    Peanut_Farley

Answer by Peanut_Farley at 10:41 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• hay you might contact the school ... there might be a parent that also has a child in the pre-school and will watch your child with hers... the cost might be better than a day care, you will also need to get your child from school to daycare... you could also look at a swap... you watch their child on your day off and they watch yours when you work... no money needed this way... you might opt to work at home... owning your own business could let you be home when your child is and when she is at school you work your business... work from home is a great option to think about...
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 10:49 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• "money isnt even what i worry about when it comes to day care, its illness. i know a woman who put her daughter in day care when she was 3 years old, her daughter got bacterial menengitas (sp?) from one of the other kids and almost died, had to get both of her arms and one of her legs cut off to stop the infection. my son will not be in daycare!"

Seriously? Your kid could get meningitis at the playground, grocery store or at school..

I will be paying $400 a month, but that's on a military base. I think $125-150 a week is fairly normal where I live.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:08 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• In AR, you pay $80-100 a week for a kid that age. In MA, I would have paid $150 a week, so it varies greatly depending on where you live.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 7:51 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Could she be eligible for the state lottery prek program? I guess it depends on which state youre in. In GA, it was all day school.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:30 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• It really depends on where you live, what you want from the daycare (look for ones that offer part day preK, not just fun time all day) and how many days a week you want care. Here in NE OH the norm is to pay 150-250 a week for all day, all week care. The smaller centers will most likely be cheaper (and in my experience as a preschool teacher, the ratios will probably be smaller) but the larger, more well-known centers are more likely to have better educated teachers and a schedule that provides more learning time. Just be sure that when you go to work it is worth it because a lot of moms do end up working just to pay the day care (factor in gas, car maintenance, new clothes, lunches for you and your daughter, etc, not just the price of the daycare)
    nikspineapple

Answer by nikspineapple at 8:38 AM on Jul. 21, 2009