If you and your family are moving to a new house, when do you start the packing process?

wsgirl84

Asked by wsgirl84 at 10:55 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I start as soon as I know I'm going to move......believe it or not, we just moved and I started a year ahead. I started with packing items in the garage. Then went on to household items we didn't use, and worked slowly from there. This way I also have time to carefully label and number the boxes. I make copies of the labels and put them in a notebook. Then if I need a box....I know what number!! Sounds obsessive, but I can't tell you how much easier it makes moving!!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:58 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• ditto. I begin cleaning out stuff I'm not going to take as soon as I know I'm really moving.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:59 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• start ASAP... clean out one closet, drawer or room at a time... get rid of the stuff you don't want or have not used in awhile... box up things, write on the outside what room it will go into and put it back in the closet .... should you need something from the box you will know how and where to find it, otherwise the loading will go fast if you pack the completed boxes in a closet, no clutter in the house...
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 11:12 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• As soon as I know I'm going to move. Your house can be reduced to basic necessities. Really you only need as many plates as you have family members. And you certainly won't need those specialty dishes you use at holidays. All the knick-knacks, pictures and decor could be packed up asap - if you start now - you'll be so far ahead of the game when you do move. And a tip - mark the boxes by room with it's own color and stack each room together - example; purple writing is daughter's room, Red is master, Green is kitchen, etc. That way you don't even have to read the box to know where it goes.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 11:16 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• the day I find out. I love the aspect of pitching old needless crap that comes along with moving
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:19 PM on Jul. 20, 2009