• In the Spotlight:

rice cereal

how do u stop it from constipating you child? is it supposed to do that? i dont think so. am i mixing it wrong, TIPS PLEASE

liltexchick

Asked by liltexchick at 10:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try using more water? Ask your doctor. maybe the cereal just doesnt agree with her belly.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:58 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Rice cereal can constipate. My 13 month old was just put on rice milk for diarrhea, and the doctor told me that it was great for solidifying his stool. Within 2 days he was back to normal. How old is your baby? Ask your doctor if you can try feeding your child jars of fruits or diluted juice.
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 10:59 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I know they suggest starting with rice cereal, but if your baby is having issues with it....skip it and move on to something with more fiber like Oatmeal or Barley. Once you've started introducing veggies, come back to the rice cereal and just mix it in with (or serve it with) something with a lot of fiber (broccoli, green beans, etc.).
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:21 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• When my doc told me I could start rice she also said that it does tend to be constipating. She then said that if constipation became an issue that I could mix in some prunes in with it (jarred baby food prunes)
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 11:25 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I had the same issue my little boy so I started using the oatmeal instead and constipation stopped. I also occasionally add some wheat germ in with his oatmeal to add some extra fiber and vitamins. Prunes also work wonders!! lol
    mommy2Brycen

Answer by mommy2Brycen at 11:45 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• How old is your baby? From your pictures, she looks pretty young. If she's younger than 4 months you shouldn't be giving her anything but formula or breastmilk unless your pediatrician says otherwise. And if you're giving her cereal per your pediatrician's instructions, don't put it in her bottle. Just mix it in a bowl and spoon-feed her. My son is only three months and he's on formula only for another three months so I can't help you with your actual problem, just giving you some tips.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 3:58 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• The artificial iron in the cereal is VERY constipating. You do not have to give your baby cereal. It is better to start with avocado, bananas or sweet potato.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 1:30 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• We use in my DD's formula and we've not had a problem. I put 3 scoops of formula and 3 scoops of rice. (I use the scoop that comes with the formula can).
    melissa0425

Answer by melissa0425 at 3:28 PM on Jul. 21, 2009