• In the Spotlight:

Me and My hubby want to adopt in about a year or so... what do you think

I put this because I want some other mothers opinions...

the child/baby that we adopt will be comming from a foster system, hubby was in foster care for many years and wants to provide a loving home to a kid like himself so thats decided.

But do you think it'll be too early??? we'll be having our baby in November, We may adopt this time next year, pending all the legalities, and I also want to have more children. I want to have 3-4 of my own Biological children and adopt one or be foster parents in our county, for kids going thru the system.

Is it too early in your opinion???
Should I wait until I have a couple of my own and then decide???
Should I wait until I'm completly done???

Has anyone else had this as one of the things they want to do???
How did your decision turn out???

Dom123123

Asked by Dom123123 at 10:58 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would go ahead and make your move now, it will take some time to just get started in the foster classes... take the adoptive class right after the foster class and then get your license... this could all take 6mo to 12 mo depending on the class schedules... some take up to 18 weeks to complete... even if you are not ready now get on the wait list for the class... you can foster as "emergancy placement" taking a child/children for shot time while a long term foster placement is found... this could be a 3-5 day stay... you can always offer to keep the kids during the reunification process... as a foster parent you are one of the first for adoption placement of the child if not to family... good luck... keep in touch...
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 11:07 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• also it may be before a year or after because we want to move so if we do adopt or have another child there can be an extra bedroom.
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 11:01 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• no it's not too early. Sometimes it takes years so get the party started now.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:01 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• thanks for advice, yeah right when we are done with the foster classes we were thinking we would be a temp...for a child in transition or emergency situations until we got the adoptive license

Im leaning towards starting the foster classes when I'm done with my job, tax preparer, which only lasts 4 months, so then i'll have time to take the classes and absorb all info possible. but may do it sooner depending if i get as many clients as i want
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 11:14 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• We attempted to go this route last year. One thing that we found is that they wanted our child to be quite a bit older (she is now 3) because some children out of foster care will prey on small children, even if that child is older. They do seem to prefer that the adoptive children be younger than any biological children in the home. One thing you should be prepared for is that the need for foster adoption tends to be for children with severe medical needs or for kids 7 years +. This is because parental rights typically are not terminated for 2 or 3 years. So, while it may be possible to eventually adopt an infant or very young child, it is likely you will have to simply foster and wait for one, then if the rights are terminated you will be first eligible.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 9:11 AM on Jul. 21, 2009