afraid of the dr.?

my son had his 15 month well visit today. all went well, except for him screaming at the nurses. he didnt want them to touch him, even for things like taking his temp. or measuring his head circumference. he also refused to sit on the exam table. he has had to get many blood tests in the past due to a medical concern, so I'm sure he is traumatized by that, as well as being a toddler and remembering "oh yeah, this lady gave me shots a few months ago"... what can I do to help him? doctor visit books? a toy doctor's kits so we can role play?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 11:30 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would read the Doctor Visit books. My son freaked out when going to the dr. at a young age, but, I started reading him a Barney Doctor book. I changed the doctor's name in the book to his pediatrician. We read this book every night for weeks. After that, he had no problem going to the doctor.
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 11:51 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• next time let your kid help like listening to the doctors heart beat or holding the light thingy putting on the plastic piece , but at the end of the day you gotta do what they need to and sometimes it's unpleasent i always keep suckers in my purse little dum dums pull it out after the shots or visit.. good luck
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 12:17 AM on Jul. 21, 2009