If your doctor told you not to quit smoking while pregnant...

... would you get a new doctor? Unless my doc had some AMAZING research to show that I shouldn't quit, I'd be moving on to a new OB. How about you?

I don't smoke btw, I'm just curious.

toriandgrace

Asked by toriandgrace at 11:42 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'd switch. He was probably 100 years old and thought that quitting would "shock my system" too much. I hate doctors who don't keep up with the current research.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:44 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• There was this girl who absolutely insisted her dr said it was ok for her to have 1-2 cigs a day while preg. Really?!? What dr would say that? Her baby had a lot of problems when he was born. Sad sad thing. :(
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 11:45 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Some doctors say not to quit while pregnant b/c it could cause you to have alot of anxiety and stress which could be really bad for you and your baby. With me, I didn't care. I ALWAYS knew that a pregnancy would get me to quit smoking. The second I saw that positive pregnancy test, I quit and never picked up another cigarette while pregnant or nursing. I just felt like my baby and his health was way more important than my habit.
    Anonymous

• I'd probably get a new doctor.
    Anonymous

• My mom smoked during both her pregnancies in the 1960's. My brother and I are okay, so I suppose it is possible to smoke and have a healthy baby. I just wouldn't take that chance, though!

(I didn't smoke with my pregnancy, and haven't had a cigarette since 10th grade.)

The doctors today should have reams of data showing the detrimental effects on a baby my mom's doctor didn't.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:46 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I've heard that too. I don't smoke but I've heard several moms say that their doctors told them not to stop because the stress of it all would cause MORE harm to the baby than smoking itself. I find that hard to believe but whatever. I'm not a smoker so it doesn't affect me at all. But if I was a smoker and my doc told me not to quit completely while pregnant...I think I would try and stop all together anyways.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:47 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I LOVE my doctor and she is highly respected in the community I live in. Anyway, I was a smoker when I was pregnant and she told me to keep on cutting back at my own pace and eventually quit. A lot of people disagreed with this and told me I should just quit cold turkey! I felt my Dr. was right about the weening, because it was realistic and wasn't stressful for me hence the baby. I eventually quit 6 weeks later.

I seriously don't believe that any Dr.today would tell somebody not to quit. My sister claimed that her Dr. told her that and I call BULLSHIT!
    Anonymous

• I would think that dr that said that was a quack and would not want him/her to try to deliver my baby. Shoot they might try to pull something they thought was a baby out the wrong hole...LOL. But for real I would change dr quick and probably let the AMA or whoever gave his/her license that he/she needs to be back in school to learn the updated information.
    vidamc2

Answer by vidamc2 at 11:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• There is no sound medical tests that have been done on the harm to a fetus from less than 5 cigarettes a day. If you are high risk, or have been smoking for more than ten years, the doctor will often urge you to either cut back and gradually quit, or limit yourself to one or two cigs a day. The stress from quitting can be harmful in the first trimester. I smoked 5 cigs a day (down from 2 packs a day) through my first trimester, bc I was a high risk pregnancy. After the first trimester though, the risk of miscarriage from stress is greatly reduced, and you can quit at any time and usually be ok. This is new knowledge, not old or outdated. I would post links to my information but its late and I'm too tired to look it up again :)
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 12:03 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Seeing as how I'm a light smoker anyway and I had quit before I even got pregnant it has to do with more than stress on the body. It also has to do with nicotine withdrawal.  While I couldn't and wouldn't smoke while pregnant I can see it making some sense in someone who smoked a pack or more a day.  I would at least get a second opinion.

sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 12:07 AM on Jul. 21, 2009