• In the Spotlight:

My son, is he doing what other kids are doing?

I think my kid is just a boy a very curious boy, but when he gets around others what i think is fun and normal to me is strange to others. My son loves to dance and no matter what cool toy is out he will go right to lights or fans or candles to smell . He is non stop running around and checking everything out . As far as i know and my doctors have said he isnt autistic or have adhd. He is 2 and 8mths and still doesnt talk much so is going to speech but still have tempers and throws himself to the floor hard . He also has an upsession w/ hanging Anything from crosses to pictures to rubber bands on a nail on the wall then he sways with it . Anyone else have a child who is obsessed with any of these items?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like you have some concerns and you should have your son evaluated. I wouldn't be concerned about talking.

You do need to learn how to avoid or handle temper tantrums / fits. I'm not sure what you call them in special needs kids since it is a lot different than normal kids. We called it 'lost it.' I have a son with bipolar disease and one time he lost it and broke my foot. Special needs kids can hurt themselves or others. We were good at avoiding incidents but you may not be able to prevent all and you have to know how to minimize chance of injury.

My son also had developmental delays. He had occupational and physical therapy. Early intervention is the key. He is 21 and his IQ is 80, he has a good job making $10 an hour, a drivers license, he is buying a house with a swimming pool. He has bipolar disorder and is classified severly mentally ill.

We make sure he takes his meds and he does ok.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 12:07 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• time outs are great for you and him be strong he sounds normal to me
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 12:15 AM on Jul. 21, 2009