how to stop collectors

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Money & Work

• PAY THEM, it's that simple.
    Anonymous

• I suppose you would call them and see if you can get on a lower payment plan, so they are actually getting some money...?
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:04 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• File bankruptcy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:22 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• You need to speak with a credit counselor for sure, possibly get into a program that fits your needs.

At Procard when you enroll into any of our services you get access to a finacial counselor and many programs ranging from simple debt collecters calls getting stopped to fixing credit for a new house with no down payment! Check out our website here.

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 8:27 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• You simply tell them..."according to fair debt collection practices act, I request that you stop calling me. I know what the balance is and I know to whom I owe it, and when I get the resources to pay you, I will call you." Legally they are not supposed to be able to call you anymore. They can take whatever measures they need to take to collect, but they cant call you. Its best to just work out something with them. Let them know what you CAN do. If its only $50 a mo or less, then just tell them. Credit consumer counseling looks horrible on your credit and is comparable to a bankruptcy. If you need file bankruptcy, then youre better off than if you do CCC. I filed about 7 years ago and had a mortgage in 2 years. Its not ideal but sometimes things happen. Since then we have been doing Dave Ramseys method of finances. Check out these sites on consumerism....Clarkhoward.com and daveramsey.com Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:43 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Work with them on a payment plan.
    I also like momofsaee's answer - I would look into consumer laws regarding debt collection practices.
    Best wishes.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:44 AM on Jul. 22, 2009