y wont he just talk

I dont understand what im doing wrong! my son will be 3 in november and still isnt talking much . no 2 word or 3 word sentences we sing we dance i dont give him what he wants unless he says something (hes also learning signing to) hes in speech but just isnt giving me the attention to sit and learn he'd rather throw tempers . i ignore then a minute later i point out his emotion and tell him when hes ready i will get _ for him when he cant ask nice. Everything is labeled in my house I do lots of activities and send him to day care while i work . What else can i do i know hes super smart but is stubborn? I pray each night he'll talk :( Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• A lot of times children who are smart don't talk until later, it's kind of a block from frustration. It happens because in his head he wants to say all these things that he can't physically say yet, so it's kind of an imbalance in development (not that I'm saying that there's anything wrong). I'm not sure if this is your situation, but it sounds like it could be.
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 12:09 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• a day will come when you post why won't my kid be queit! let him take his ime it'll come
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 12:12 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• my neice is 7 years old and she still don't talk well, I mean hardley anybody understands her, but she does great in school with homework and she reads the most words in her class
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:12 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Has he been tested for autism or asperger's syndrome? Asperger's kids are often highly intellegent but lack the social skills. such as speech. You may want to push for a diagnosis so that therapy can be more targeted to him.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:16 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• If you are bilingual I would suggest picking one language and sticking to it, children get confused when there is more then one language being spoken in the house. If that is not the case I would continue being firm with not giving him what he wants until he says it. Be consistant, as a teacher I cannot tell you how important it is to be consistant with your methods. If this continues for another six months, take him to your doctor and asked to be referred to a speach specialist.
    Dreambaby15

Answer by Dreambaby15 at 12:16 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• First of all, has he had his hearing checked ever before? If he has had a lot of ear infections or frequent fluid in his ears, this may have caused him to not be able to hear the sounds of people speaking. Speech development really develops quickly during this time, but if his hearing was distorted then he will have missed hearing how to form words and sentences. Also, if he has fluid in his ears, he will not be hearing well enough for the speech therapy to be beneficial.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 6:31 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• If he's in speech therapy, he's had his hearing checked. It's one of the first things they do. If they didn't, switch therapy companies!

How long has he been in speech therapy? Has his therapist recommended any further evaluations? If not, and you have concerns..take it upon yourself to have him evaluated further.

He's too young to "sit and learn". Stop trying. You know it's a point of frustration for you both so it's obviously not worth it. Keep signing to at least give him a way to communicate until he starts talking...but get that poor kid evaluated further. He should be speaking more, and if he's been in speech for a while (year or so) and hasn't improved..time for new therapist because that one isn't worth the money if they haven't done anything more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:00 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I'm sure your DR already checked him for autism right. If he's fine then some kids will just figure out that talking is better. My mom's cousin didn't talk until she was 5. My grandfather used to say that she just didn't have anything to say. Now you can't shut her up. My Mom gets on the phone with her and she's on there for hours. I guess that once she started taking she just never stopped and has been going in one large conversation for 35 years. Her siblings wonder if she sleeps at all or does she stay awake and talk to herself.

My cousin was 3 before he talked.

My little cousin is 1 and he doesn't say more then momma dadda.

All these people are intellegent, the baby can do things that my 2 year old (3 in OCT) can't.

Just be patient.
    MorriganzMommy

Answer by MorriganzMommy at 9:47 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Has the speech therapist said anything about his lack of progress? Does he/she think something more is going on with him? I would question Autism Spectrum Disorder too. The temper and lack of speech are indicators for that. Also, does he avoid eye contact with you or others? Does he seem to not understand your emotions/facial expressions. Does he require that all of his personal belongings be in a very specific order/location? Does he pitch a fit if someone else messes them up? If you answered yes to most of these, I would have him evaluated. While this is not a complete list, and not all ASD kids have the same symptoms, you should speak to your doctor, explaining all of the things that you see. If your speech therapist hasn't picked up on these key elements and possible diagnosis, you definitely need a new therapist. A seasoned therapist would know this, it's elementary to a good therapist. Good luck!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 2:36 PM on Jul. 21, 2009