Is medication really necessary?

Do you really believe people that have problems focusing (even children) have to be on medication. I know there are alot of mental problems out there for some but some is more on focusing and absorbing what was just said or read.

For example: If I was to read something and did not really understand it I'd have to go back and read it again and again until I got it and that sucks for me.

What do you ladies think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Health

• I think medication should be a last resort. For some children, it unfortunately is necessary.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:15 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I think there are times when medications are needed but those times ARE RARE
    Parents and teachers are just obnoxious and the doctors driven by $$ to do it

I have a friend who's a nurse as well and the school told her last year her daughter needed something...so she got one of our drs to write a note saying she'd be starting Ritalin .. LOL but it was not true they did NOTHING no meds no counsiling no nothing 2 months later the teachers told my friend how much better her daughter was on the medication LOL tooo funny but sad in a way
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 12:26 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• The thing with kids is that it's hard to diagnos disorders. They keep getting younger and younger. I'm a health major in college and we watched this 60 minutes about how doctors are diagnosing kids as young as two years old with things like bi-polar and ADD. I think that is ridiculous. But, what is even sadder is that the parents aren't using their best judgement or doing further information and just giving out meds like candy. I'm very picky with what I give my kid anyway. And it wouldn't even be an option unless everything else didn't work.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 12:49 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My son needed meds to concentrate in school. We tried many other things first. When a child is suffering in school, has low self esteem, etc. then meds are needed. Some people just assume that the meds are bad and that is not always the case. I would never medicated a child for ADHD before they are in 3 or 4 grade. Also, Bipolar and ADHD are two very different disorders and meds are NEEDED for Bipolar. Parents need to know their children and know when more help is needed and when something isn't working. My son actually thanked me for putting him on meds, his grades went from D's and F's to honor roll, all because he can concentrate and think about 1 thing at a time.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:58 AM on Jul. 21, 2009