Why the focus on doing or not doing?

I have noticed a great many questions about is _________ a sin. Often these are posted anon. so I can't pm the person and ask them why they are asking these questions.

So here are my questions for you all:
Christians
Do you all post these types of questions?
Do you understand that Christianity is much more than a list of do's and don'ts?
How is your relationship with God, to you fear (reverence) Him or are you afraid of Him (God's going to get me)
Non-christians
Is it you that is posting this?
Why? Are you genuinely curious or just trying to get Christians to say something you feel is outrageous?
Is someone in your faith teaching you that this is all Christianity is?
Or is this the perseption we Christians give off? (that one might hurt to hear but I want to hear it)
For the record I am a born again Christian, I have been a believer for 30 years and it took me many years to learn about the liberty we have .

teamquinn

Asked by teamquinn at 12:43 AM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• This is very beyond me. We all sin we sin more times a day then we can count so asking questions like that is pointless. It says in the bible that we're saved my grace not works so i think wether this or that is a sin is too petty. If you're one of God's you know it and he knows it and he knows you're sorry and appreciates that you say it. He likes you anyway and isn't holding the fact that you're human against you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I think if anyone has to post a question asking "is this a sin" then they answerd there own question, I think if you have to ask then you know it is, that's just my opinion
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:51 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Do you all post these types of questions? I don't

Do you understand that Christianity is much more than a list of do's and don'ts? YES! :-)

How is your relationship with God, to you fear (reverence) Him or are you afraid of Him (God's going to get me): Reverence. I'm not afraid of the God who invites me to call him abba, brother and friend.

I think it is part of the perception that many strong-....personalitied (lol) Christians give off that can even get the Christians who should know better shaking in their boots. We shouldn't be so consumed with our sin and disgrace that it keeps us from reaching out and touching Jesus' cloak. Our God-given conscience and common sense are amazing tools; USE them! The Bible says God's law is written on the hearts of his believer's Jeremiah 31:33. We can know right from wrong by praying for his guidance, not relying on a list of do's and don'ts.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:26 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Or is this the perseption we Christians give off? (that one might hurt to hear but I want to hear it)

I haven't directly asked Is such and such a sin questions, but I've asked things similar, specifically because of another question or the answers in it. Sometimes there are some very strong-personalitied (as stolen from November) people who insist on a very black and white view of the world. I'll ask questions to get an idea of whether or not that militaristic interpretation is common or if they are an isolated case.

For example, there may be a question where someone is asking about baptism dress code, and in passing, mention that it's not full immersion, even though it's irrelevant to the question. Inevitably someone(s) will jump in and start screaming about how only full immersion works. I may then ask a question about who all believes in full immersion. I think a lot of those ?'s evolve from other ?'s asked earlier.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:08 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Do you all post these types of questions? No, but I understand why many do. Usually the ones posting are baby Christians who are feeling conviction against something they want to do. They'll ask the same questions over and over seeking to quiet the uneasy feeling that accompanies conviction.

Do you understand that Christianity is much more than a list of do's and don'ts? I most certainly do, but many new Christians do not. It's okay to want to know what the Bible says about this or that.

How is your relationship with God, to you fear (reverence) Him or are you afraid of Him (God's going to get me) I love Him because He first loved me. I want to know what pleases Him. Jesus sacrificed so much on the cross for me, and I want to put my thoughts, my wants, my possessions, my life on the altar for Him.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:03 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I don't post these type of questions because I don't feel the need to. If I am questioning something that I am doing or that I want to do, I generally take that as God's voice in my head telling me to think twice about it.

Christianity IS so much more than do this or don't do that. In fact, most Christians can't even agree on many of those aspects anyway, so IMO, that just proves that it's not the "works" but the "relationship".

I have a wonderful relationship with God. I talk to him on a daily basis - just like I do my best friend. Do I fear him? Well, not really, no. Why? Because I feel that I have no reason to be afraid of him. Do I revere him? Respect him? Absolutely, with every ounce of my being.

I think there are a lot of Christians out there that still don't "get it". They think that salvation is about perfection and sinlessness when the fact is, we are unable to be sinless. That's why Christ died.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 9:17 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• As a none Christian who was raised Christian I can give a different point of view. There are some who don't really understand Christianity because they not attend church, don't read the bible, but is still worried about going to hell. I know as a former Catholic and many of my friends who are Catholic and even my DH was Catholic, I think there is something missing in teaching the youth Christianity in the Catholic religion. I who has not been Catholic for well over a decade know more about the religion then some who claims to be practicing the faith. Many have very odd ideas of what is taught, I think there is a lack of explanation. I'm not bashing, I'm just giving my honest perspective from the discussions I've had. I hope that Catholics will see this as an opportunity to make some changes to better educate the youth in their religion. My friend who is Baptist does bible study classes where they discuss the bible, it works.
    MorriganzMommy

Answer by MorriganzMommy at 10:20 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I'm a Christian, and I know right from wrong. Doing right is good...doing wrong is bad..Very Simple. Look at it this way..Would you want to be caught doing whatever it is you're doing when Jesus comes back?? Or, if you wouldn't do it in front of your mom, you shouldn't do it at all.
    Ask yourself those questions, and you'll know if you're sinning or not.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 10:37 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Is it you that is posting this? --------------------Nope. I don't believe in sin...

Why? Are you genuinely curious or just trying to get Christians to say something you feel is outrageous? -------------I see A LOT of posts written by non-Christians who seem to be going out of their way to make Christians "say something outrageous" and to be completely honest-- I find those posts incredibly obnoxious. It just makes the person posting look like an ass.

Is someone in your faith teaching you that this is all Christianity is?---------------- my faith teaches that everyone is on their own individual spiritual path. And Jesus Christ was a great guy. That's about all I have to say about that.
    (continue)
    Anonymous

------------- Honestly?? A lot of Christians get under my skin... not because they seem obsessed with right and wrong... but because they try to play "moral police" to everyone. They're quick to tell a total stranger what he/she is doing WRONG. I think they need to look in the mirror more often.

Sometimes, however, I meet a Christian who really tries to shape their lives after Jesus Christ. -- wish there were more people like them. I don't care WHAT religion you belong to... we could ALL stand to be a little bit more like Jesus Christ.
    Anonymous