When kids are visiting with other parent.....

Do you call the kids while they are over visiting other parent, or just wait till they return home? I have 2 girls that visit their dad 3days/nights during summer. They are preteens and have cell phones. Is it wrong to call while they are visiting dad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Jul. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well does he call you on your time. I have a step daughter and we get her for the summer and major holidays. Now, before she moved out of state, she was here weekends and two weeks off two on during the summer, and while we tried to not intrude on their time, Her mother would call everyday and spend hours on the phone to the point where we had to have the attorney tell her to keep the calls to a minimum. It was disruptive to our family time, every time Dori got off the phone, she would have to be un wound. If you keep it to a few minutes just to see what they did that day I don't think your wrong, however if it is detrimental in anyway to dads quality time with the girls, then I think you should wait till you see them. Maggie
    goddessmom

Answer by goddessmom at 12:48 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• It depends. They should know they can call you. If there is something important that happens they should know you would call them. They shouldn't worry that while they are gone something may happen (their dog dies) and they won't know.

You could set up a certain time to talk. I don't think you should just call to chat unless that was something you and the father agree that's OK for both of you to do.

I didn't mind my childrens' father or stepmother calling any time. I didn't call when they were with their dad. It would have been OK for me to call but I didn't think it was right.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 12:54 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• It all depends on the case. How old the kids are, how often they go to their dad's. Set a certin time each day that you/they are allowed to call and see how things are going.
    Our case is that she at any time but we don't have to answer it unless it's between the hour of 7-8 for a nightly call. It works great for us.
    red_head_mommy2

Answer by red_head_mommy2 at 1:06 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I dont see why he would care. Just call them on their phones or even ask them to call you once while they are gone. Its more up to the people involved. Theres no rule.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:42 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I call and check on my kids when I want and he does the same.
    No it is not wrong to call and check on the kids. My opinion it is good to call them. Everyone should feel like there are no boundaries when it comes to our kids. Just calling to say I love you or I miss you is really good for them.
    We do not make them feel separate while they are in the other parents household.
    JLynn0871

Answer by JLynn0871 at 10:03 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• You can call and see how they are doing or to tell them goodnight but I wouldn't have lengthy conversations with them. They are at dad's to spend time with him. They do need to know that you love them and miss them when they are at dad's.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:39 AM on Jul. 21, 2009