How fresh is something that is homemade and put in a jar?

I have pickles and jam dated 07. I would'nt eat them anyway but was just wondering. I want to throw them out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Food & Drink

• As long as it's still sealed then they are fine. We're eating jam from four years ago made at MIL's homestead... pickles are actually good for a REALLY long time, because the pickling process preserves them. It's how the people WAY back when would preserve a lot of their vegetables.

Kenre

Answer by Kenre at 1:11 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• As long as the lid was sealed properly and still intact those things are good. In fact the pickles may be awesome.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• my grandma makes her own jam and we're still opening jars from '07 and '08. they don't tend to go bad unless they weren't sealed good enough. the worst that happens to jam is that it crystalizes and becomes gritty and you don't want gritty jam LOL. i wouldn't know about the pickles though.
    momma_gig

Answer by momma_gig at 1:33 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• They are probably okay if the seal is still well-sealed, and there is no mold in the jar, but here is what I found from the National Center for Home Food Preserv ation website:

How long will canned food keep?
    Properly canned food stored in a cool, dry place will retain optimum eating quality for at least 1 year. Canned food stored in a warm place near hot pipes, a range, a furnace, or in indirect sunlight may lose some of its eating quality in a few weeks or months, depending on the temperature. Dampness may corrode cans or metal lids and cause leakage so the food will spoil.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:22 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• oh i have jarred food much older than that if the lid it still tight and the button has not popped (if you use those kinda jars) it is safe
    littleleesmom

Answer by littleleesmom at 11:43 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• When foods are preserved in vinegar they can last for a very long time. Think about kim chee and all the pickled foods in asian cuisine. They last for years. If the jar is leaking I would avoid the food in it. If the jar makes the vacuum sound when you open it it should probably be alright.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 11:44 AM on Jul. 21, 2009