Fertility questions-I was taught wrong maybe?

we were talking about how women can get prego, and my DH tells me that right when a women's cycle stops is when she is most fertile?? I thought at that point you didn't have any "eggs in the basket"? I thought they dropped (ovulation) about 14 days after the period stops and therefore 7-16 days after your period stops is the most fertile time. also I was taught that sperm can live inside women up to 72 hours and that's why if they're trying to get pregnant, they should have sex anytime during that period so when the eggs are ready, sperm is right there....?
I'm going to do some research, but I feel pretty stupid for not knowing how my
body properly fertilizes if my DH is correct....input please?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Health

• A woman is most fertile during ovulation. Your husband is wrong. But, you can get pregnant ANY day of your cycle. Before, during and after your period. And sperm can live in a woman for up to five days.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 1:55 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I tend to ovulate right after my period. Everyone is different. They only teach the average or "norm"
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:41 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Everyones body is different. Typically a woman ovulates 14 days after her period BEGINS. Some women dont have that type of body though and don't ovulate for 20 days..or even longer. The only way to know how you body works is to track your ovulation through Basal Body temerature and ovulation predictor test.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:14 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Average cycle is ovulation 14 days after the FIRST day of your period. Sperm can live up to 5 days inside the woman so from about 9 days after the FIRST day of your period up to about 17 days is when you are most fertile on the AVERAGE. I do not have a 28 day cycle myself (32 average) and ovulate around day 17 so I don't follow this, but I track my symptoms and know when I ovulate.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:38 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• No he is right to some degree. Everyone is different. When I was younger, my most fertile days were the 7th day after my period. I used to have longer periods so it was right after. Now that I am older, I notice that I ovulate about day 10-14. I also had a 35 day cycle last month too. I was about 4 days late and I kept wondering if I was pregnant, but I knew my dh had had a vasectomy....even at that...I got paranoid....LOL....Its just different for everyone. If you want to know what your body does, then just do a few months of charting and see.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:50 AM on Jul. 21, 2009