oil fire.. small fire .. but need advice for the future

so the dh and i chose to have pork tacos for dinners.. we thought home made shells would be good.. so we put some oil in the pan.. and we have never put a lid on the oil pan before... just saying this makes me want to cry bc im so shocked and traumtized and grateful no one got hurt... im not using a lid ever again.. so im grating the chesse . hubby is cutting the tomatoe.. we notice the oil pan getting really hot... dh takes the lid off a small fire starts.. i scream do something.. he says we cant use water.. it will make it worse.. its getting bigger.. he grabs the pan... and throws into in the sink with the cold water running... should have we stiffled the fire with the lid?? use the estingher.. or since the way our kitchen is set up .. off from the laundry room we should have wetted a towel and thrown it on the pan.. our son was in his room watching a movie..the alarm went off.. i ran past hubby and took little guy out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:55 AM on Jul. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• but the fear of what could have happend scared the shit out of me.. the whole do something .. was not okay.. oil fire on the stove.. how is the best safest way to handle this... thank u christ my family is ok.. bc i may not sleep tonight.. that scared the crap out of me.. and i kinda of panicked.. and im mad at myself for that.. i need some advice..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Put baking soda on a grease/oil fire.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:59 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• my brother works for hazmat and he said baking soda for a grease fire...never water
    fatcat0908

Answer by fatcat0908 at 2:00 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• never water- it makes it flare up baking soda or cover the fire with the lid and turn off the stove- also they make these neat little mesh things u can get anywhere even the dollar store- theyre made out of metal and u can use it to cover the pan ur heating oil in and they even work great for tomato sauce and other messy things like gravy and the such- things u dont want to cover with a lid but u dont want to leave open for whatever reason- but it hase tiny holes to allow the steam to escape (which is probably what caused ur fire to start, the stem gathering p and splashing into the hot oil making the oil to pop and catch on fire causing the whole pan to go ablaze) but anyways it lets the steam escape without letting the drops of oil or sauce or whatever splatter everywhere. im sorry u had to go through that and i knw how u feel with the mini heart attack moment- im glad everyones ok too!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 2:10 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• thank u ladies for ur replies.... i will look for that lid.. im new at cooking.. at slightly traumtize by oil and so is the dh... so we will take a break from tacos for a while.. i dont have baking soda on hand but im getting some tommrow.. thank u again
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:24 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I had an oil fire last spring. It is scary, it was just me and my (then) almost 2 year old. The oil had gotten really hot and when I put the fries in, it boiled over. And of course then the fire is under the burners, under the stove top, so I can't put a lid on it. I had just a few tablespoons of baking soda so that was no good. But luckily we have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen. Whooee, those things make a mess. Whatever powder/chemical was in it was all over the counters, the cupboards, the stove, all the food I had prepped, everywhere. It took forever to clean up and I couldn't start that until I had opened every window and door to clear the smoke and calmed down my little boy. We've replaced the fire extinguisher and hopefully will never need the new one, but I am glad we had one when I needed it.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:57 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• http://www.ehow.com/how_4906442_put-out-kitchen-oil-fire.html

If you scroll down on this link it has a step by step on what to do and what NOT to do.

Actually, it's good to read and everyone should take a look to re-familairize.

Thank you for sharing your story. You are right, you guys are so lucky no one got hurt! Thank God for that!

My parents had a major fire about two years ago and had to move out of their house for 6 weeks while it was rebuilt. One of their cats was hurt, but she's okay now. Otherwise thankfully no one was hurt because my husband was there at the time and he got all of the dogs out of the house and called 911.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:58 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Wow, so to hear of your scare.. take it easy on yourself. We all would have freaked out in the situation too.. Yes, baking right response. It is so cheap, so keep some handy.
    My sis in law just had the same thing happen about a month ago while making fried chicken. Long story short, the fire got bigger and bigger, she had nothing to put it out. The stove, counter tops, cabinets and microwave all burt up by the time fire dept. arrived and put it out. They family is now in an appt. for 3 months while ins. has to steam clean, bio hazard team and rebuild the kitchen. The smoke damage has ruined many things, but worse is the toxins the microwave releases while the plastic and radiation was realesed. One the whole other side of the house was my neices playroom. Ins said all her plastic toys absorbed the chemicals and can not be saved. They are having to have airducts and everything professionaled cleaned (smoke and water damage)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• WOW im glad that everyone is ok. Like the other posters said baking soda works but if you dont have any and sometimes it gets to big way to fast for that. You can put the lid back on and take it off the stove and that will smother it. like you said about a wet towel that should work also but the main thing is to smother it. Although using an extinguisher would work also i keep a small one in my kitchen just in case something like that happens in my home. I kinda had the same thing happen to me. I was making the taco shells and when i set the napkin down it went up in flames. I was about 6 when this happend. My dad grabbed it took it outside and had it smutheerd with an aprion. then he hosed it down after that to make sure it was out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• You should have dumped flour or baking soda on it and put the top on.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:55 PM on Jul. 21, 2009