if your child/toddler 21month could swim with a learn to swim outfit on

all by them selves..these outfit require the child to work... my son will willingly and willfully jump in from the side of the pool and swim put his 21 month old head under water and breath..all on his own. im right there... next him..just not holding him.... he is speech delayed.. no words yet almost two.. however advanced in mommies opinion on the phyiscal end.. anywys.. ive been getting dirty looks from people at the apartment pool. from the independence i give him.. and some people are in true adoration of how much a good swimmer he is. his confidence and i luv it to pieces... im beyond proud.. anywy . i ALWYS make sure he walk on the pavement holdin my hnd .. im alwys swimmnig right next to him.. im teaching him where the edge is for saftey and the stairs.. but my brave little soul wants to jump in all on his own.. he can swim and lift his head up with his vest on...should i be i guess controlling him more.? thank s

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Jul. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• IMO, you are doing just fine! sounds like me and my dd! however, she can't swim like that (good for you for teaching him!). Teaching the line for safety is important and plus it sounds like you are there with him! I get the same looks because of the freedom I give my dd. Sometimes I wonder the same, but she never does anything to really need it! So IMO if you feel he needs more boundaries, then yes, otherwise, he sounds great to me!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:55 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My only concern would be that he may not realize what is helping him float and thus decide to jump in sometime when you have your back turned and he doesn't have a floatie on. That is why we do not use them in our house. I do use the arm floaties though because those are pretty obvious to a child that he has those on.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:30 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Both of my children have mild autism, we have our own pool, and I was a competitive swimmer and Red Cross Swim Instructor for over 20 years. I taught both of my children (long before we knew about their delays) from the age of 6 months. I never used floatation devices, as I didn;t want them to get a false sense of security. By the time they were 3-3 1/2 years old they were swimming completely independently and able to go underwater to retrieve toys off the bottom of the shallow end of the pool--about 3-4 feet).

I LOVE to see parents encourage their children to swim, and develop naturally--you're doing a wonderful job at encouraging your son to explore the water and his skills on his own. I would "graduate" him to less floatation equipment and more independent skill development--since he's so comfortable.

You can buy swim suits with removable floats to accomplish this--eventually it becomes just a swim suit! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:53 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• If he is under your supervision and safe, who cares. If someone says something, tell them to mind their own business. This "it takes a village" is a bunch of crap. That idea only means that Hillary Clinton gave a bunch of nosey, busy-body, know-it-all, do-gooders permission to impose themselves in other people's lives. Tell them to bugger off!

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:00 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Aw, I bet thats cute. Some kids just really like the water. Because hes so unafraid, you need to make sure he never gets near it without you. My niece is 22 mos and she is not afraid either. My sil just puts her arm floats on but if shes turns her back for a second, shes in the pool, arm floats or not. She just doenst know better. Shes teaching her to wait. I wouldnt worry about other people and their looks. Just ignore them. Watch him for ingesting water though. Sometimes kids dont think about it and they swallow a lot of water. As long as youre right there....I think it sounds like fun. Its better than having a child who is screaming no and afraid of it. My son doesnt like to swim. hes not afraid, but he just generally prefers to be playing on the side rather than in the pool.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:41 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I think it sounds like you are doing great. I have a young swimmer also, but I also was raised swiming from a early age. I have always found it good to teach children to " respect the water, not fear it" As long as you make your son aware of the rules then you are doing great. GL and congrats on great lil guy. As far as the speech delay, have you started therapy yet???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Those things give a false sense of safety. The kids really are not swimming, they are being held up with the floaties. They need swim lessons to ensure that the kids are really swimming adn know safety. He is old enough to be in swim lessons. But, it is good that he is so confident and enjoys the water and you are doing a good job letting him spread his wings.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:36 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• He's fine.
    And yes, tyfry is right, they do give a false sense of security and the child isn't really swimming. But they help a child get comfortable in the water which is essential for actually learning to swim. I got a vest for my daughter and she loves it. I love that the float level of the vest can be adjusted down as she does learn to swim - I've already lowered it one level. Does she think she can jump in without it? Yes. But I'm always right there, with or without the vest, and the trips into the pool without the vest remind her that she is still learning.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:49 AM on Jul. 21, 2009