my husband wants to join the army!?! any 1 have any advice???

my husband wants to join th army & move us ( me & our 2 kids) to where ever it is that he will be placed! idk how to feel about that! ive never been so far from nyc let alone my family, i mean ive always been a drive bus or train ride away from every 1! i just dont unerstand how he just wants us to just get up & go!!! i mean he is not as close to his family as i am to mine!!! plus i dont know what to expect!!! so im askin 4 every ones opinion! & if ur a wife of some one in the army please feel free to hit me back & share some of your rxperiences... please.... thank you in advance

jaidah917

Asked by jaidah917 at 3:29 AM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• Being an Army wife if HARD.
    If this is something he really wants to do, he's going to need 100% of your support.
    You'll have to be prepared to be shipped to the other side of the US, and if he has to go overseas be prepared to be by yourself for a year.

Lots of Army wives move back with their families if their hubby is deployed.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 3:35 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• well, we moved from WA to AK... no fam, no friends really either. It's just something you get used to. Plus when they deploy you no longer have them and learn a lot of things you normally would never have to deal with. You can move home while he deploys, I chose to not. It is hard, but something you get used to! It is very different.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:41 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Why should you have to be shipped all over the world because of something he wants to do. You DON'T have to support him in this. Why on earth does he want to do this now? I would honestly leave my husband if he joined the army. You and your kids are going to suffer. Imagine them being torn away from your family and moved all the time. What kinda life is that. I think he's being very selfish.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 4:12 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Well gee sarapurser, so much for 'Support Our Troops'.

She's right, you DONT have to support him in this. You can get a divorce.
    Or you can crush one of his dreams and have him hate you for it.

I am an Army Wife. I'm PROUD of my husband. The sacrifices he & our family make help to make sure you have the right to come on CM and be a twat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:24 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I am a Navy Wife. and My husband is on a submarine. -a very dangerous job, but he loves doing what he does. My husband has a very admirable job. he defends our country, he puts his life on the line for people he doesnt know. we travel the world together. we make families and friends everywhere we go.
    all in all, he takes care of our family, with the economy the way it is, we always have a roof over our heads, insurance, a paycheck on payday. Its not so bad. yes, i have had deployments, its not easy. but it makes our relationship stronger. keeps it fresh. and its not just for anybody. not everyone is cut out to do what a military wife does. were a single parent most of the time. were far from family. but oh well, I visit when he goes underway for more than a month. so its not so bad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• hes probably trying to think of whats best for his family right now, and i personally dont think you should stop him because you dont want to move away.
    if its going to be a problem, then maybe you shouldnt be together. its def something to talk about, cause its not right to make him -not- join cause you just dont want to move. but its also not right that you have to move either.
    its hard. i hope it works out for the both of you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I am a Navy Wife. and My husband is on a submarine. -a very dangerous job, but he loves doing what he does**
    ahem...statistics show Navy men are safer on ships and submarines than driving the streets in the U.S. stop wearing his stripes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My husband has been in the army for almost 8 years now (4 active duty, 1 year IRR, and almost 3 years Reserves). Our first Duty station was in Germany, however, he wanted to go to Germany so he had it in his contract. I was 20 at the time and while I was a long ways from my family, we still stay connected. We called each other almost everyday. We also went home on leave. My family was suppose to visit us one summer but I decided to come back home during my pregnancy while my husband was in Iraq. It is a challenge to be a military wife especially if kids are involved. Does your husband know what type of MOS (job) he wants to do? That makes a big difference as well. My husband was Infantry so he was in the field more than someone whose job was finance. Has he talked with a recruiter yet? See what his options are if he does want to join, see if he can pick his first duty station, maybe somewhere close to home. Continued...

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:31 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• But make sure it is in his contract. Also, go with him when you talk with the recruiter. There are some that will give you some BS lies but not all of them are bad. Most will answer your questions very honestly. Anyways, my husband's contract is about to end and he (we) are debating about him going back to Active Duty. Active Duty has its challenges but it also has its rewards as well. Oh, another thing that might be a compromise is Army Reserve Active Duty. The reserve unit my husband is in now is made up of 60% active duty. If you can find a reserve unit that has open slots for active duty then that will allow you to stay where you are at. Their work schedules are basically M-F 8-5 plus one weekend drill a month. Now, each unit will be different so they may not have the 8-5 hours but it is something to look into. If you have anymore questions, please feel free to pm me.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:37 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• army veteran married to an army man......

you have to understand if you are an army family..you will move every 2-4 years and it could be to another country. if you cant handle that. tell him now.
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 9:52 AM on Jul. 21, 2009