Fine needle biopsy or Breast core biopsy?

I'm really nervous and have to go into my local hospital clinic for a biopsy tomorrow morning. My right breast contains a lump and it has been ruled as a tumor. But we are not sure if it is malignant or benign. I'm not sure if anyone has had one of these types of biopsies before. I'm still not quite sure which one I'm due to have. The fine needle leaves no bruise and involves no anesthetic. The Breast core was the one explained to me by my doctor, which is more invasive and involves anesthetic and a small incision.

(My Doctor has ruled 5 days for the paperwork result. But he has said that he will ring the same afternoon to get a phone result. So I'm wondering if anyone got theirs by phone the same day and which biopsy did you have?). Thanks.

DejaVooDoo

Asked by DejaVooDoo at 6:21 AM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Health

• I've had both. The waiting for the results is the worst part of it. If your doctor can get you the results in one day it will be really nice. Don't let the procedures worry you too much. The needle biopsy- they put a numbing agent on the skin. The other- since you will be under an anesthetic, will go smoothly, too. Once you get the results you can figure out what to do next. My fingers are crossed for you for favorable results. Please let us know the outcome?

Answer by Bmat at 8:09 AM on Jul. 21, 2009