c-section question....

How bad is having a c-section? Whats the typical recovery time and all?

Im 39 weeks 5 days with my second child.He is not showing any signs of wanting to come out anytime soon.Ive been dialated to 1cm for 3 weeks now.Not thinning out or anything.The doc told me yesterday that if I dont have him before next monday they will induce me.And that if I still make no progress they will have to do a c-section.Just that word terrifies me.He said it may help if I was having contractions, but I haven had any what-so-ever.He isnt wanting to drop down anywhere near my pelivs either.Is there anything else I can try besides sex,or walking...that can either help me start contracting or atleast get him going in that direction?(he is head down just not engaged into my pelvis).Cause I really want to avoid a c-section if at all possible

brittoh

Asked by brittoh at 6:23 AM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I also wanted to avoid a c-section unfortunately that wasn't possible (I still feel like a failure as a woman and mom about it... however that's just MY feeling) I will tell you that for me, the c-section wasn't bad, I'm 9 days from having given birth and don't have any issues, I only took the pain meds in the hospital, other than ibuprofen for 2 days after I got home. Every day I'm walking faster (the first few days I walked like an old lady) and I'm getting ready to drive again probably by the end of the week or so (they told me 2 weeks). All in all it was not near as bad as I expected physically. Good luck.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 6:29 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I have had two c-sections and they aren't that bad. Sure you move a little bit slower for a couple of days, but you also get extra time in the hospital which helps you to rest. My only advice is to take the pain meds as directed.....NOT when the pain is there because by then it's too late. Just be careful, follow dr instructions and you'll be fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:41 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I wanted to aviod a c unless they had to use a vacuum. My dd ended up breech, i was in labor, they tried turning her with no luck so I had an emergency C. IMO it's not as bad as people say it is, yes it is major surgery.... but sometime a c is neccessary! I was in the hosp for 4 days, went to the store right after being discharged and walked around (i was on ibporfen, and percocets) and was out every day after too! Just walking up stairs was difficult but moving around makes you heal faster! I do agree with finallyamom40 that I did feel like a failure because I didn't really labor or push or really feel a contraction! Yet, there would have been MAJOR complications had I done vaginal. Sometimes babies are stubborn but they can't stay in there forever! :) I hope all goes well, but if it doesn't a c isn't nearly as horrible as it sounds!!!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 7:10 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I think it's a doctor thing. Doctor's are just too impatient these days and too eager to induce. I was a late baby - 3 weeks late. My head was a little oval, but that went away. I was fine. My mom was fine. My best friend was almost a month overdue with her first one - 26 years ago - and he was fine too. It's got to a point not that I wonder if one could even convince the doctor to actually wait on the baby - like mother nature intended. I can't tell you what to do to get contraction to start - if sex hasn't or don't work. It's the loss of that plug that should trigger the contractions. You're body knows what it's doing, but just try convincing a doctor of that. As far as the c-section. You'll have about 6 weeks recovery time. Yes, it's hard. I had two children - one natural, one emergency c-section (be was breech). I'd have 5 more naturally before I have one more c-section. I hated it. I hope you don't have to have that.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 7:12 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I had placenta rupture with my son. He was 2 weeks late and just did not want to come out. I ended up having a c- section of course. I have a very low low low pain tolerance. The spinal didnt hurt at all. The only thing that hurt was recovery. Recovery sucked. I was in ALOT of pain. I have never been in such pain ever but.. i am pregnant now about 18 weeks along and i plan on having another c- section. So, i guess you can say its not as bad as i made it out to be. It took me 2 weeks before i was able to sleep in my own bed. I slept in my recliner. After 2 weeks things got alot easier thats forsure. After about 6 weeks you will start feeling like your old self . As far as the incision site that wont hurt at all..it stays generally numb its your muscles that are terribly sore to be honest with you. You may not want to get a c- section but if you do end up having one you will feel alot better knowing your baby was delivered safe
    Proudparent707

Answer by Proudparent707 at 7:22 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• i had a c-section with my son and due for another one in 24 days.....i had my son 6 weeks early, i was up walking around that night, i had him at 6:28 pm and by 10:00 pm i was up walking around...i took no pain meds, i was eating jello that night, and the next day they took my catheter out and i was really moving......its all your mind set.....if you can handle pain then its fine, if you cant then you wont heal has fast...i was completely recovered by the time they took my staple out...one week later
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 8:41 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• You can always say no to the induction. Due dates can be off by 2 weeks in either direction. Unless an absolute emergency (life or death) I would never recommend a section or an induction. Doctors are always in a hurry.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:24 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• This is my story exactly! I was late, I wasn't progressing, and I had to be induced. The only difference was that I had thinned out completely - I just wasn't dilating. I was induced and after 60 HOURS of labor I had not progressed at all! It was so discouraging.

Anyway, I ended up with a c-section which was the total opposite of what I was hoping for. My recovery was actually not that bad. I think it depends on your body and your surgeon. My surgeon was excellent and I actually felt okay after about two weeks, though I still had to be careful for longer than that. Now I never even notice the scar, they really did a great job.

If you have to have a c-section, you'll be just fine. They'll let your husband or SO or mom or whoever go in with you. You won't feel a thing when they do the procedure. I know it's scary (I was terrified too!), but we're moms, we're tough and we can handle it!

beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:25 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Excersise as much as you can physically handle. If you hold on to the back of a chair and do squats it helps push the baby down in that direction. Also if your partener is involved lay on your back and have him push your legs back above your head as far as you can handle. I had some of the same issues with my second child and was scared of a c section myself. I was dialted to 4 at 32 weeks and at 38 weeks still no progress. I just did as much exercise as I could and ended up having a completely normal birth. Good luck!
    Kristle25

Answer by Kristle25 at 9:36 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I would wait to have the induction until 42 weeks unless there is something wrong with the baby. Just me though. The chances of having a c-section are much greater if you let them induce you.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 2:40 PM on Jul. 21, 2009