Do you want to live to 100?

World's Population of 100-Year-Old Could Reach 6 Million
July 19, 2009

It's starting to get crowded in the 100-year-olds' club.

Once virtually nonexistent, the world's population of centenarians is projected to reach nearly 6 million by midcentury. That's pushing the median age toward 50 in many developed nations and challenging views of what it means to be old and middle-age.

The number of centenarians already has jumped from an estimated few thousand in 1950 to more than 340,000 worldwide today, with the highest concentrations in the U.S. and Japan, according to the latest Census Bureau figures. Their numbers are projected to grow at more than 20 times the rates of the total population by 2050, making them the fastest growing age segment.

Demographers attribute booming long-livers to decades of medical advances and improved diets, which have reduced heart disease and stroke.

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendl

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:41 AM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• My Grandma was 102 when she died. She was always healthy-she didn't like veggies and yet she had energy and walked alot and laughed alot and didn't let anyone tell her what to do. (Nobody was going to "put her in her place"..heh)SHe never took pills, she never even KNEW about drugs, she rarely drank. SHe was a good example for us all and I hope I inherited her genes. I don't think the scientists know WHY people live longer. Its probably your genetic makeup and your ancestry.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 9:20 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:42 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Only if I am capable of being independent. I wouldn't want to be merely "existing" for the sake of living to 100. I'd rather live a full and active 80+ years, rather than watching the grass grow from a nursing home bed!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:06 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Its called PILLS!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:08 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• It depends, if I'm in a diaper, drooling, unable to be independent- no. I'd rather live happily to 80 or 90. I've already said the day I realize I'm too old, that I can't function anymore I'll OD on every illegal drug I can find! Heh.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Jul. 21, 2009