Son obsessed with guns...

My 2 1/2 year old son is absolutely obsessed with guns. It doesn't matter WHAT he's playing with he'll turn it into a gun- blocks, a toy drill, markers, a spoon. We keep telling him everything is NOT a gun, any ideas why he's doing this or how to break him of it?

Annabel1809Lee

Asked by Annabel1809Lee at 8:06 AM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just don't make a big deal out of it. Leave it alone. If moms pays to much attention to this the mom is reinforcing the "activity". The child is playing he will out grow it. Don't worry.

You could buy something less obvious such as a water gun.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Somethings are just ingrained to boys. My cousin wouldn't allow her boys to have play guns and the boys just made guns out of sticks! My son has play guns (water guns and a couple of cork guns from the bass pro) but we also think it's very important to teach kids gun safety from a very young age. You may not have them in your home, but a neighbor or friend could have one...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• So you're looking for a way to stifle his pretend play?

Use the opportunity to teach him gun safety.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Boys just do this, even if you don't buy them toy guns they pretend with other things, even their hands! He's just playing....don't make a big deal out of it, he'll eventually stop doing it as much.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 9:16 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• i agree that this would be a good opportunity to teach him gun safety. i am not sure when is a good age to actually take a child to see a gun being shot (using every safety precaution, of course), but whenever that is it may help him to realize they are NOT toys.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 9:41 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• my son was never obsessed with guns, but like most boys, he would occassionally make guns out of his toys (obviously my keeping all play guns out of the house didn't work!). But when he plays i tell him he cannot pretend to shoot people or animals. He can pretend to shoot aliens, monsters, etc. but never people or animals. I do use the opportunitiny to try to teach him about guns (i tell him point blank 'guns kill"). I still don't let him have pretend guns in my house, but i know he plays with them when he goes to others homes. I still enforce my rule of no pretend killing poeple or animals, and hope that others respect my wishes. i don't make a big deal out of the subject though, i don't want to draw attention to it.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 10:08 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• That's basically what we've been doing, we do have guns in the house, and we've explained to him that guns can hurt people, you don't touch a real one if you see it, etc. My SO was just worried about it. Thanks everyone!
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 1:11 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I wouldnt worry about it too much. BUT, if you do have guns in the home, make sure to store them unloaded and locked up. Let him be a boy and don't worry too much! I think it is cute!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 1:45 PM on Jul. 21, 2009