I have a few questions about my 4 month old...

Yesterday I started him on rice in the formula. He is having a hard time sucking it through the nipple. So do I put a fast nipple on the bottle? I tried hm with a fast nipple and He is drinking it but alot faster, and wants more when hes done the 6 ounces. They other thing he hasnt pooped since Sunday afternoon, is something wrong with him? Plus hes drinking a bottle every 4 hours, ashould I be waking him up after 3 hours so he gets more formula in?

Note: I dont want to be bashed about not breastfeeding my child, I didnt have the option to breastfeed him....

jessduncan77

Asked by jessduncan77 at 8:27 AM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Its been a while since any of mine were that age, but when I started putting cereal in the bottle, I just cut the holes a little bit bigger. Not too big. You don't want it coming out too fast. He may not need to eat every 3 hours, he may need you to suppliment water in between feedings, and if he hasn't pooped since Sunday, I would start the water right away. If he doesn't poop by the end of the day (after giving him water) I would call the DR. He is probably getting constipated from the cereal. Mine went through it too. Once he's old enough for juice, diluted apple juice will help too.
    craftykidsclub

Answer by craftykidsclub at 8:35 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• why are you putting cereal in his bottle anyway? did the doctor tell you to? it is a choking hazard and is not recommended. if he can't be spoonfed, he is not old enough for cereal (unless it is because of a medical condition). cereal is iron-fortified, cereal causes constipation. unless medically necessary, stop the cereal. how old is your baby? water isn't recommended until after 6 months, i believe.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 8:53 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• just out of curiosity, and obviously you don't have to answer, but why didn't you have the option to breastfeed? i have never heard anyone say that before. just wondering :)
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 8:55 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• His ped told me to start rice at 4 months. He is 4 months now:) My dd is 20 months and when I started her on rice she was 4 months, but I think I tried to spoonfeed it to her and a week later she got it in her formula. As far as the breastfeeding, I have gran mal seizures and asthma. They say the steriods for my asthma arent good while breastfeeding. Plus the 2 meds I take for my seizures are so strong. If I was to breastfeed with the meds, he would get majority of the meds through the breastmilk and I could have a fatal seizure, or mulitple seizures.
    jessduncan77

Answer by jessduncan77 at 9:03 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Stop giving him rice in the formula, if you want to give him cereal, mix it in a bowl and use a spoon.

Let him have a bottle as often as he wants, as much as he wants. If he wants more than 6oz, then give him 8.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:20 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• It is generally not considered a good idea to put cereal in a bottle. If you are determined to give him cereal then go with the spoon and the bowl. If he won't eat it that way, then he's likely not ready for it yet. All babies are different and there is no magic age.  Your pedi saying you could start cereal doesn't mean you have to. It just means you can if you want to and if he will take it.  Rice does tend to be constipating though so if yours is constipated then ask your doc what to do about it (I was told to add prunes) If you would like to read an article about readiness signs, reasons to wait, etc.. then click HERE

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I would not wake him to feed him (especially not a healthy child at 4 months). If he's sleeping let him sleep. Rest is just as important as food is. What does your doc say about purees? I would try to give him some stage 1 pureed prunes (by spoon) to see if that helps with the constipation. Cereal can be binding for some babies. I'd give him just the prunes with nothing mixed in or with a little formula mixed in to make it a bit thinned out so that he can take it.

When I started my son on cereal it was about four months. I mixed it with breast milk and fed it to him with a spoon. He spit it out immediately. I tried again a few days later and he spit it out again. I just kept trying and waiting until he was ready to swallow it. I agree that cereal in the bottle isn't a great idea, but I know lots of people who do it.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:08 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I think tonight I will try to give him some on a spoon and see what happens. Thank you everyone for your help:)
    jessduncan77

Answer by jessduncan77 at 10:24 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I never gave Mikey cereal in his bottle I would always give to him in a bowl mixed with his formula. I only would give it to him in the moring and never at night because he never had a problem sleeping.
    LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 11:08 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• First of a all never ever put cereal in their bottle. Not only is it a choking hazard but the point of starting cereals and solids is so they learn to stop tongue thrusting and learn to move food around in their mouth and back to their throat to swallow. The only way to teach that is to spoon feed them, not bottle. Also rice cereal is a known constipator. I had the same issue with my little boy and switched to Oatmeal which has more fiber in it. I also had some wheat germ to his oatmeal for extra fiber and nutrients.
    mommy2Brycen

Answer by mommy2Brycen at 12:08 PM on Jul. 21, 2009