Juvenile/rheumatoid Arthritis anyone have a child with this?plz read

Alyssa woke up with a swollen knee Friday morning.She didn't fall so we didn't know what was wrong.She has been playing,walking
We took her to her pediatrician yesterday
the Dr. had 6 x-rays done and didn't see anything really wrong.She wanted us to go to a bone Dr.
So we went to the bone Dr. yesterday and he looked at her,her x-rays and talked to us.
He said he really didn't know what was wrong since she is still doing whatever she wants.He didn't see the need of sticking her with a needle or anything.
He said it may be juvenile arthritis.
we are to keep a eye on her and the knee put ice pack on it and if nothing changes we go back to the bone Dr. next week.

she may grow out of it and we are not completly sure she has this.she is only 4yrs old.

i cant belive something is wrong with my little girl :( its been one of my biggest fears since before she was born.

alyssa1

Asked by alyssa1 at 8:33 AM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Kids' Health

• are they going to send you to a rhematologist?? Has she had any recent infections-like an ear infection?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• i would like to hear from other moms if any of you have been through it with your own children or maybe even yourselves when you were younger.
    alyssa1

Answer by alyssa1 at 8:35 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• When they suspect RA they usually do some blood work to see if the factors are there. Maybe they just think that she bumped it and it will heal??
    Anonymous

• no infections no sickness.nothing wrong.she woke up this way.x rays are fine.
    alyssa1

• My son had a leg problem and after several trips to doctors, it ended up being transient synovitis. That is why I asked. They were talking RA, and all that like with you. These things take time to dx.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• we go back to the Dr. next week.I think we will see if they will do tests to see if that is for sure what she has.
    alyssa1

Answer by alyssa1 at 8:44 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• i was diagnosed with RA when i was 12 but i went to a rheumatologist, they did xrays of my knee & the damage was obvious, they also did blood work to confirm it... gl i hope your baby is okay b/c RA sucks
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:05 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I have a JRA since I was 3yrs old. You need to get blood tests and go from there. Feel free to message me!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:46 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My daughter was diagnosed when she was 18 months old. It started in her ring finger, she had 4 surgeries before the doctors realized that she had JRA. She has had flares in her finger, wrists, ankels, and both knees. You need to make an appointment with a specialist as soon as possible, preferably with a doctor who specializes in children with arthritis. While you're waiting you should get some ibuprofen to help with the inflamation, ice is not reccomended wet heat helps the best such as a wet warm wash cloth, heating pad with a wet towel, warm baths things like that. I have so much more info if you want to talk more I can give you my email or something. This is a big deal in our family and it will affect everyone in yours if she truely does have JRA. My heart goes out to you. This is what I need too, to talk with someone who is going trough the same thing that we are. Really need some one to relate with!
    adasmomma

Answer by adasmomma at 9:48 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• My daughter, Willow was diagnosed with JRA at 18 months olld, she is now 6. It started in her right hip. She has been thru surgery and on countless meds. We have tried all sorts of things! It is heartbreaking to watch your child go through this. Willow has done well the last two years with physical therapy and regular meds, but a recent move to NY has changed everything. So we are back and square one and trying to figure it out again. Her rheumatologist was amazing but now we are over a thousand miles away. My heart goes out to you and your little girl. If I can answer any questions please let me know.
    willkanmom

Answer by willkanmom at 7:19 PM on Oct. 5, 2010