baby's first cold

my lil one is 4 months and she has her first cold. sneezing, dry cough, runny nose. eating a little, but a general lack of appetite... any tips & tricks to make her more comfortable?

i have her sleeping on an incline, took her in the bathroom while i shower (for the steam) but dont know if there is anything else i can do. it's acting like a normal cold so i think a pediatrician visit would be overkill unless she gets a fever. do you agree?

thanks!

khatcat

Asked by khatcat at 9:11 AM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• also if she gets stuffy and steam dosent halp sucker out the nose..but all in all u are doing well. but yes i would say a high fever call her ped and see what they say they might want to see her. but a fever is fighting something off. i remember my sons first cold hes 3 now but it was wanting to do all to help him and only being able to do so much. hope your lil one feels better soon xo good luck mama..
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:15 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My daughter gets a cold every 2 months no matter what I do and she is not in daycare. They started at 3 months old and she is now almost 3 years. The ped always said to use saline nose drops and then use a sucker. And don't worry, the saline is safe. They even gave me a bottle of it in the hospital after she was born. It also helps to make the baby sneeze because it tickles going in the nose. When they sneeze more stuff comes to make breathing easier. Good Luck!
    bugsmom06

Answer by bugsmom06 at 9:28 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• You can use either a non medicated saline dropper (like little noses) or breast milk in her nose to help with congestion. Let it sit for about 30 seconds and then use the ball syringe to suck anything that you loosened out. You can use vicks vapor rub on the feet and then put socks on OR my doc also said you can put it on the jammies so it's not on their skin. Just don't put it directly in or under the nose.

Poor baby! I hope comfort comes soon!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:58 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• If you're lactating, express some breastmilk in to your hand and use a dropper to put it in her nose. Then suction. Works like a charm! I did that for both me and DD when we had a cold. We were over it way fast.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 11:00 AM on Jul. 21, 2009