What do you think? Do you think this is true?

"We all have our own essence and our own power. Losing yourself in another person gives up this essence or power. Re-connect with yourself to feel this beautiful, vibrant essence that exists in yourself at all times."

JewelBliss

Asked by JewelBliss at 9:21 AM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• yes I believe the statement to be valid. You can't be 50% of someone else. You have to maintain 100% of your self to even be half of a couple. Being an extension of another person loses part of yourself. When a lot of women allow themselves to enmesh into a man the man then leaves saying "you are not the woman I married". Nope, she's not. She allowed herself to morph into him. That's wrong imo. Maintaining who you are allows you to be true to yourself.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:09 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• i think it's just a random stupid quote
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I think that some people CAN lose themselves in their partner, but for the most part I think that is in controlling relationships. Where one of the partners doesn't allow the other to be themselves or change, which usually is the abusive ones. I am myself with my husband, I have not changed, but I have grown and we grow together yes but as individuals.
    suzyb1980

Answer by suzyb1980 at 9:28 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I think both the previous answers are good. I would add a quote to this, but can't remember how it goes! Something about when two halves join, that makes a whole, but when two wholes join, "that is beauty, that is bliss". We don't have to lose ourselves in each other, but if we bring all of ourselves to a relatiionship and appreciate each other, that's true wholeness.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 9:36 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I agree with Bmat...My husband is the other half of me. I am not complete without him. My power isnt in myself, but in the God that I serve.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:04 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I feel that my husband completes me. That before I met him and fell in love that I was only a part of a person, which I hadn't realized until then. Yet I still am an individual with my own preferences. So it is like a healthy plant- each of us, my husband and myself, as part of the plant, but together we are the rose.

(I am sorry, momofsaee, I noticed a glaring typo and deleted so I could fix it, I didn't see your message until now. Sorry to mix things up.)

Answer by Bmat at 10:06 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• The Bible states, "And the twain shall become one flesh". I still have my own thoughts and feelings, but I respect my husband and he respects me. We think more alike now than when we got married. We feel more alike. We have grown together. But we still have our own interests. I gave up some power, but I gained power in return. I gave some of my power to my husband, and he gave me some of his...in this, we doubled our power, because we put our power together and focused it into our life together and in the lives of our children.
    singnstitch

Answer by singnstitch at 10:56 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Well, I'm not sure if what you're quoting is anything more than just what it says. In essence, we are all who we are. God made each of us unique and special in our own ways. However, sometimes, when we fall in love, we so completely immerse ourselves in that persons life, and his wants and needs, that we lose who we really are. We give up our own dreams. Ignore our own needs, forget about our own wants. We need to always be aware of the person inside ourselves. Don't compromise that for anyone or anything else in the world. Do so, and you'll lose yourself completely.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 11:01 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I don't know about loosing yourself, maybe that does cause you to give up something of yourself. But I know that in being with the right person, it enhances your essence and your power. That is one of the ways that I knew that my DH was the One for me, he makes me glow like a lightbulb, he enhances my essence and my power and makes it shine more brilliantly.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:08 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• You do not loose yourself you become one. That will enhance your essence and power. If you loose yourself than it is not a good marriage. You fall in love with who they are not what they can change you to.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:22 AM on Jul. 21, 2009