Is 6 years old too young to get leg hair bleached?

My daughter doesn’t like to wear shorts or skirts anymore because she says she has too much hair!!! She is only 6, okay 7 in January!! I don’t want my beautiful daughter to stress out about things like this…what should I do? Do I let her wear pants all year round? Do I work out the hair situation? Or should I make her wear the shorts or skirts, like my mom did? (Shaving is not an option- I think she is too young.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Jul. 21, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughter is 7, & worries about the same thing. Shaving/bleaching is not an option. I told her to get over it, because she is only 7, and that she should learn not to care what others think, especially if they are rude enough to make a comment about it. I don't want my daughter having insecurities at such a young age. Luckily, she got over it.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:57 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My suggestion is to let her wear what she wants. For the time-being it may be long pants. But in a while showing her legs will no longer be an issue when she discovers that shorts are nicer for a hot summer.

Answer by Bmat at 10:08 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• If it would make her more comfortable...you have considered it since you asked. I don't think it's a bad idea. But hide the razor - I felt the same way at about 8 and started shaving!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I would let her wear pants whenever she wants to. I think bleaches are damaging to the skin. I have sensitive skin and I have experienced some of them. Forcing her to wear shorts seems almost cruel. Kids are hyperaware of their bodies and other kids can be mean.

honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 10:09 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• 7 is too young for shaving, but you're willing to put a harmful chemical on her skin? No way. I wouldn't do it. Have you considered an electric razor?

I_Am_A_Rock

Answer by I_Am_A_Rock at 10:10 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• *them would be the negative side effects

honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 10:10 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Do not put chemicals on her. She needs to really get over it. She is 6 and shouldn't be insecure about herself already. Where does she get this physical insecurity from???????? My daughter wears what she wants, but she will never be able to change her being. So if the hair is bothering her tell her she can wear pants. She will get hot enough to wear shorts. I think that kids these days are to worried about their looks and style over being a freaking child. Gosh I had ungodly hairy legs till I was 14 years old. My mother would not allow me to shave or bleach. I was like 12 when I started having a problem wearing shorts with my hair. Before then I was a freaking kid I didn't care about my leg hairs. My daughter is 6 and does her hair , clothers, and has never been like. MOM my leg hairs are ugly. Do you think someone in your household has teased your daughter about her hair. ???
    suzyb1980

Answer by suzyb1980 at 10:18 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with letting dd wear capri pants or a skirt that's abit longer below the knees with summery fabric, summery shorts. If she has darker hair even brown our private hair is more of a concern to us at any age. I'd put her in groups where they focus on community and not personal looks, Libraries, 4H, girl scouts. Don't let her bleach. It turns into a lifelong thing then just about. I'm sure she has cousins or neighbor girls who have dark hair with leg hair and other hair showing more. Puberty early on with periods and personal hair starts real real early.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Is 6 too young for bleaching? Heck yeah!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• What is wrong with her wearing pants? I know she'll get hot, but this is her decision. I don't see why you would force her to wear shorts or skirts, just because of the season.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 3:48 PM on Jul. 21, 2009