Potty training questions from a first time Mom

Hello ladies. My son is 14 months old, so I started thinking about potty training. My thoughts are to put a potty in the bathroom and when I go in there he always follows me, so I would put him on the potty also. Is he too young, will it cause a problem for him if I start now? I have no expectations on any time limit at all. Also, what potties are good for boys? He loves music and I've seen that some play music when they sit down? Just a thought..any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Julians_Momma

Asked by Julians_Momma at 10:27 AM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DD loved the music playing one. I think that he you get him used to the potty then he wont be afraid of it. If he wants to sit on let him but dont force him. Don't expect much out of him, if he does pee it'l probably will be by accident. When he is staying dry over night and starts showing his dislike of being in a wet diaper. Then break out the potty sticker chart and get serious. Until then let him have fun with it.
    MorriganzMommy

Answer by MorriganzMommy at 10:42 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• One of the things I did was buy the video "It's Potty Time" We would watch it and then go potty. He on his small potty, me on my big potty. Then when he was ready for the big potty, I would turn him around to face the tank so that he could hold onto the back when peeing. (Pooping was right direction). :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:01 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Just remember that all kids will go at their own pace. If you try to force it and he's not ready it could make it a lot harder for you in the long run. That being said I think getting a potty and setting it in the bathroom for him when you go is a great idea. I wouldn't put him on it though. Just let natural curiosity lead the way. Especially at 14 months. Most pediatricians won't expect your child to be potty trained until 3 years old.
    MommaJen536

Answer by MommaJen536 at 2:47 PM on Jul. 21, 2009