Healthcare is a Good, NOT A RIGHT. Part one

Political philosopher Richard Weaver famously and correctly stated that ideas have consequences. Take for example ideas about rights versus goods. Natural law states that people have rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. A good is something you work for and earn. It might be a need, like food, but more “goods” seem to be becoming “rights” in our culture, and this has troubling consequences. It might seem harmless enough to decide that people have a right to things like education, employment, housing or healthcare. But if we look a little further into the consequences, we can see that the workings of the community and economy are thrown wildly off balance when people accept those ideas.

First of all, other people must pay for things like healthcare. Those people have bills to pay and families to support, just as you do. If there is a “right” to healthcare,

gammie

Asked by gammie at 10:32 AM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It's a right when your citizenship is that of a socialist nation. And since Oh bummer wants a socialist nation he has to implement government healthcare. That's what the majority voted for, and government healthcare was a pivotal point in the thought process when they cast the vote for him. The people voted for government run healthcare when they voted for Oh bummer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Yes but more people are waking up to the detrimental costs of it. Its not likely going to happen. His approval on it is dropping like a rock.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:38 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I agree. It is NOT a right! And you may think you won't pay for it, but you will. The government has to pay for it somehow, and it will be through taxation. That means the cost of everything will go up as businesses get taxed, as well as, individuals.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:43 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Everyone in America has access to health CARE, not everyone has health INSURANCE. There is a difference, and you have to listen carefully. They will obscure and blur the facts as much as they can to try and get people to think their way. In the process of trying to get everyone to use Government-run health INSURANCE, Congress is going to totally rearrange American health CARE--and not for the better, I'm afraid.
    Under the present system, (EMTALA law) anyone who walks into a hospital emergency room is treated whether they can pay or not. If they don't pay, the taxpayers or other patients pay it. With Nationalized healthcare, the first thing they will be asked is to present their healthcare card. If they don't have it will they be chucked out without care? And after all everybody will still be paying for the healthcare the poor then WON'T be getting.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:50 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Good answer pagain_mama!

Healthcare is NOT a right. Goods and services cost money to produce. It takes money to provide healthcare be it a bottle of aspirin or open heart surgery. Healthcare is an INDUSTRY and cannot be given away.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:18 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I wonder if you will have the same attitude if you someday have a family member with no insurance get a life-threatening illness. Probably. You all seem pretty heartless.
    Anonymous

That is why we have Medicaid. I worked in a doctor's office while in college. We had a number of patients with serious lifelong illnesses. They had Medicaid.

I am not heartless, I am just not responsible for the rest of the world. I have worked hard for what I have and I share. However, I am not willing to give it all to the government for them to waste.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:48 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

Then you do understand the Obama health care. If you have a life threating illness they will let you die and if you are old they they think you are going any way so they will not help you.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 9:07 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My niece got bitten by a cat and almost died. She has no health care and got help from medicaid. There is help now!! We do not need Obamas Deathcare.
    All the info is out there you just have to do is read.
    Why don't you go to Canada and see what FREE? HEALTH CARE is and you can see what happens to the very sick. They have to wait long time to get the help they need and some die waiting. Like I said the info is out.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 9:16 PM on Jul. 21, 2009