Coming out as an adult

Is there a support network in place for adults who are coming out of the closet? I have tried to find a group that helps adults, but it seems all the groups are for teens and young 20s not so much for those that are estabished in life and trying to find a way to be who they really are.
How do you even begin to tell your whole family that even though you have been living life as a straight person with a family of your own that it is just not who you really are?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• My mom came out when I was 10. She was 33 at the time, and had been married two times to men. My mom told me, "Ashlie, I'm gay. I hope you dont hate me." And she was crying the whole time. But I didnt hate her, I loved her cause she was my mom and thats all that mattered. It took a little getting used to especially for her parents, but now they accept it. My mom has been with the same woman since I was 10, the just celebrated 10 years! And I'm a better person for it. My mom is stronger for it, and my grandparents are more open minded because of it. Good luck!
    AshlieTolliver

Answer by AshlieTolliver at 10:44 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I can't imagine how hard this must be for you. I wish I had some words of wisdom to help you out, but I don't. All I can offer is my hopes that you can find a way to work this out that will bring you some personal peace, and that you find support and love around you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• my dad was gay. He never told me but my mom did after she found him with another man. It was just sort of understood but since I got told at a young age it was easy for me to accept his lifestyle. I have a grandson who came to me and said he thought he was "bi". I told him maybe he should find out for sure. He had been terrified to tell me but it's his life. Who am I to judge him or anyone else? You could tell your family you have chosen to live an alternative lifestyle. that might break the ice a bit so they can decide if they want to pursue details or if they want to take time to process. Remember that if they leave the room doesn't mean they reject you. It only means they need time to process so it's still all good. Just be happy and love yourself above all others.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:57 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I will pray that God will work in your life and in your family as well. I pray they will be supportive of the decisions that you make and the lifestyle that you choose. I know it will be hard to come out, but if that is truly who you are, then how can you look at yourself in the mirror for the rest of your life knowing that you're living a lie. Be strong..chances are, maybe they already suspected "something.' Our imaginations run wild when reality is much easier to handle. Good Luck and God Bless
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 10:57 AM on Jul. 21, 2009