Similac Formula

Hi. My little girl is 2 months old and she is drinking similac alimentum, due to sensitivity in her belly. She was on enfamil a.r. and got very constipated due to the rice starch in the formula, and her doctor told me to give her prune juice about 3 oz a day. However now that her formula got change to the similac alimentum i was wondering anyone who has or is giving the child the similac alimentum if they got constipated?? and if so what did u do to help them. Thank you in advance for the help!!

ChefGV

Asked by ChefGV at 10:37 AM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My baby is on Similac sensitive, she got a little constipated and the doctor told me not to worry unless her tummy looks extended or if she acts like she is in alot of pain, then he said to give her a supository if that happens. He also said you could give her alittle fluid in between bottles like pedisure or pear juice if its a concern. My dd is 2 months old too and he said its is normal for them to stop going so often its just their bodies changing and not to worry. I just saw him this morning, he said they can go up to a week without a bm and its normal. Good luck and I hope this helped.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 11:44 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I was using Similac when my little boy was first born but then when my pediatrician informed me that "formula is formula," I switched to Sams brand. Which for the same amount costs $15 versus the Similac for $30. I also had the same problem with constipation that lasted for a couple months early on. I was told the same thing that it can be a week and thats ok for some babies. When you start solids things get much better. I went with Oatmeal instead of Rice cereal though since Rice cereal is known to be constipating and Oatmeal has more fiber in it.
    mommy2Brycen

Answer by mommy2Brycen at 11:52 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My DD is on the same exact formula for sensitive tummy and she also has acid reflux. But she's never gotten constipated or anything. We put baby cereal in her formula and still we haven't had a problem. Have you tried the Mylecon gas relief drops from Wal-Mart? When I give DD some it tends to make her go "more".
    melissa0425

Answer by melissa0425 at 3:25 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I haven't tries mylecon, she seen a tummy doc for the reflux, witch is doing much better since she was enfamil a.r. formula and the similac, he prescribe her some med. n then he told me is very sugary. Am not happy about giving young baby sugary med, so i been doing prune juice for the constipation. It doesnt seem to bug her not being able to go but when she does she cries n it hard not soft like normal baby should have, unless she has the prune juice it wont be soft. Am wait out a day more to see if her bm n constipation improve :( thank you for the help
    ChefGV

Answer by ChefGV at 3:40 PM on Jul. 21, 2009