For breastfeeding moms: have you had this issue?

My milk just came in yesterday, but my kiddo is doing the weirdest thing now. She nurses too fast and then throws up, and she also wants to nurse about every 30 minutes or so. I know that she is getting enough food because she has enough dirty/wet diapers according to the doctor. She wasn't trying to nurse near as much yesterday, what's going on? Does she just want to suck? She won't take her pacifier anymore.

ajguinn

Asked by ajguinn at 10:48 AM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You might also be making a lot of milk, and she might just be taking in too much too fast. I know that I always make way too much milk for my babies in the beginning. Their little tummies can't hold very much when they are first born. You can try pumping a few ounces before feeding her so that your letdown won't be as forceful.
    lalabear88

Answer by lalabear88 at 12:13 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• sometimes they just want to suckle and feel close to you

Answer by admckenzie at 10:51 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• If she is throwing up every time, maybe you need to look at your diet. There may be something her belly is not agree too. spicy foods, gassy foods, and dairy are the most common I believe. When I was nursing dd I couldnt eat taco bell (my fav fastfood!). It sucked for 18mo NO taco bell! lol.
    If she is nursing to quickly, pull her off the breast & burp her more often to give her a break.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:53 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I believe it's that she is nursing too quickly and too much. Maybe because she isn't used to actual milk being there yet, only colostrum?
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:56 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• She likes it. She doesn't want to stop eating. Take her off the breast and burp her more often and return her to the breast to finish. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:20 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Throwing up is also a sign that they ate too much. Or that she had a bubble of air under a whole lot of milk and when she burped, out came whatever was on top of the bubble. And if she is throwing up alot of milk then of course she would be hungry sooner. Try burping her halfway through feedings. The fact that she used to use a pacifier and now refuses is also a sure sign of preferance to your breast. Try to get her back on the pacifier - for your sake! It may be a rough couple of days but you can't always stop what your doing every thirty minutes just so she can get some sucking satisfaction. Its also hard to establish a feeding routine that way.
    mommy2Brycen

Answer by mommy2Brycen at 12:03 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• It'll take time for her to get used to the new milk and heavy let down. Don't worry. Just burp frequently.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Eating too fast or too much yes could be a problem....but if that and your diet are fine even some breastfeeding babies spit up a lot. I swear I thought my son had reflux or something the way he would spit up (it was projectile and to me seemed like too much) But he also had gained a great amount of weight and had the dirty/wet diapers. He just happened to be a puky baby. He's now almost 8 months and it decreased a lot with eating more solid foods.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 12:43 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• She is most likely spitting up because of the faster let down now that your milk is in. She should get used to it soon. She is also nursing constantly BECAUSE your milk is in to help increase the supply. She could also be going through a growth spurt. Babies nurse like they'll never get enough during growth spurts. Check out www.kellymom.com it is a great site for breastfeeding moms.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 12:58 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• There is a teas called Mother's Milk, it will help with your lactation and help baby with her gas. This means less gas pains and puking for you to deal with. Newborns don't generally like pacifiers. If she wants something to suck on, try your pinky. Definatly burp her more often and it does sound like a growth spurt, thats what newborns do. Eat, sleep, and poo, lol. Also, try to incline her more during and after meals. She is still getting hormones from you which cause her tummy shutoff valve to stay open. Those same hormones that helped you body relax and expand are playing tricks on her newly used tummy. Remember, its all new to her, eating, breathing, pooping.
    brittneysmom31

Answer by brittneysmom31 at 2:19 PM on Jul. 21, 2009