How many ultrasounds did you have?

With my first I had 2. One to determine fetal age & the normal 20 week fetal survey.
Second I had about 5 due to complications.
This time I have already had 3 & am only 17 1/2 weeks.

I have heard many people say their insurance only allows 1. So how many have/did you have?

lizafur13

Asked by lizafur13 at 10:52 AM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I had one every two weeks until 20 weeks. Then I had 4 (one a week) at the end. But I had a high risk pregnancy.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:54 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• doc found placenta previa early
    so i never had reg internal exam after 15 weeks
    every exam was ultra sound
    i lost count - way over a dozen
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 10:56 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I believe I had four. The two normal ones, and two because I was measuring small and they wanted to ensure that she was growing well.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 10:56 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I had my children in Britain so I was covered by the NHS and it's standard to have two.  One to determine fetal age and one to check that the fetus is developing normally.  I had a third scan with my second daughter because during the second scan it was discovered that my placenta was very low and close to the cervix.  But the third scan showed that it had moved up so I was no longer at risk.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:06 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My first pregnancy I had a ton from six months on every couple of weeks to make sure kidneys working, a relative was born with a nonfunctioning kidney. And in my third pregnancy I had a lot too because I was then considered an older mom though not now, and I refused amnio. So the ultrasounds gave great guidance on what to expect at birth of anyknown difficulties. Everything turned out ok.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I had several ultra sounds (maybe 10 with about 20 print outs), due to "high risk" cervix incompetence. The Dr. told me as long as she wrote high risk on the chart insurance would cover it. So as long as you didn't request ultra sounds, I am sure the Dr. is going to want to get paid. They will write "high risk" on your chart. All my ultra sounds were normal and it was fun to keep getting cute pics. Congrats and GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I only had 2. 1 at 20 weeks to check everything && tell me what he was && 1 at the very end when she wanted to double check her diagnosis that my placenta was going away.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 11:28 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• With my second pregnancy, I had them weekly. My first pregnancy was a bit more normal and started out with less, having one at 8 weeks and one at 22 weeks, but toward the end, I had about a dozen more.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:51 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I had 3. The normal 19 week one, but she wasnt being helpful so they had to do another at 23 weekr to get a better look at her spine and heart. And another at 42 weeks to check her fluid. I got to see her face in that one <3. we could telka she had dhs nose.
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 11:59 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• With my first I had 5, one at my 1st 3 appointments, 1 big ultrasound, and one to check his size. I don't think they even reported them to insurance other than the big one. They just had the machine in the office and liked to use it.
    With my second I had 3, I had a different doctor who wasn't as into the ultrasound machine as my first doctor. I had one to check the fetal age which we had to beg for, one big ultrasound, and 1 at the end because I had a crossover visit with a different doctor who liked to use it. He checked that she was head down, and confirmed her gender.
    This time I have the doctor who did my last appointment with my daughter. So far I'm 14 weeks and I've had 2 ultrasounds.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:35 PM on Jul. 21, 2009