Are lunchboxes out of fashion?

I loved my lunchbox when I was a kid, but my kids say they're not cool anymore. Is that true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Jul. 21, 2009 in

• yeah im pretty sure thats true. most kids just buy lunch at school now a days. or take it in a brown paper bag if u must
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:23 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My girls won't eat lunch at school OR take a lunch box....grrrrr. I try to buy them healthy snacks that they can just stuff into their backpacks on their way out the door. The schools also do not allow containers to be brought from home that can not be seen through so I save old water bottles and refill them for them. I'll fill them about 1/3 full of water and put them in the freezer the night before (without the cap on) and then fill them the rest of the way with cold water in the morning. The water stays cold all day. I make sure they have a couple of dollars in the money pocket of their backpacks in case they want to buy a snack at the a la carte counter in school.
    My girls are in high school, by the way. When they were in elementary schools they brought lunches in insulated lunch sacks. I guess those days are gone now. School lunches are $2.25 though and taste awful!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:39 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• In elementary school, they are still cool. In middle school, not so much. Most kids just buy their lunches at school. I asked my son if he wanted a lunchbox for school and he looked at me like I was crazy. He is in middle school and he told me that he would get beat up if he had a lunchbox. A little exaggrated but lunchboxes are still uncool.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:43 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Some of the kids have them, but most of the kids I've seen (in elementary school) have those zippered insulated ones without any characters on it. That what my son takes, too.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:53 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Yeah, I would agree with tyfry7496, for kids in Elementary schools they're cool but once they're in Jr. High and High School either they're buying lunches or putting them in a sac. My kids are on each end of the spectrum I have a 4yr old daughter who can't wait to carry her Disney Princess lunch box to Pre-K and an 11yr old who will for all intense purposes carry the Lands End lunch box I paid so dearly for last year with her initails on it. I'm sure by the 7th grade tho she'll tell me that she's no longer carrying a lunch box at all, which will be fine with me cuz I'll suggest to her that she use a lunch tote. Which I think is okay to take your lunch in if you're in Jr/Sr. High School; they're what a lot of career women use when they bring lunch from home into the office. It's what I use.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 12:07 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My daughter thinks they are pretty rad. She's not exactly a victim of peer pressure and trends. I am pretty sure she'd going to be very secure in her individuality. She's been looking at some lunch boxes and we are waiting a little until she is for sure on what she wants. I have this hideous one I bought for work...but I think I might change it up and get something rad since I don't work in a library lol.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:11 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• WOW - how times have changed since we were in school! I loved having my transformers or pound puppies lunch box!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 2:02 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Actually our gs will use one of (yes he is 8 and has many to choose from...lol) once in awhile to take a lunch if whatever they are having isn't to his liking....lol...

I don't think they are out.... but the sizes are getting smaller...LOL.... and those tin boxes are back too...lol... gs has one with spidey man on it...lol...

He will get a new one this coming fall to add to his collection... you know he is a third grader and has to be with the in thing...LOL....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 5:57 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My daughter carries an insulated bag in her backpack (not cool).

The cool ones are the bento boxes, Laptop lunch boxes, and the tiffin

Answer by rkoloms at 7:11 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• we have the insulated lunchbags too.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:03 AM on Jul. 23, 2009