Is it ok to go past your due date?

I know someone who is a week past her due date, refusing induction, trying "home remedies". Is she not doing anything wrong or is it sheer stupidity?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I've known several people who are healthy adults who were born up to a month and a half past their due date. I guess its different for everyone. Also, due dates are approximate, and I've also known women who were induced on or at their due date, only to have a baby that was premature and had to spend time in the NICU. One week doesn't seem to me to be anything serious.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 11:11 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I had my daughter back in '76 and then it was considered common practice for some doctors to let you go till you popped. My daughter was born 6 weeks late by ANYBODY'S figuring, (I think it was more, myself) and she was okay. (I still had to be induced!) I wouldn't recommend it if you are having any sort of problems, but it won't hurt he baby to be born at 42-43 weeks gestation. Some home remedies are harmful and SHOULDN'T be used, others are just ineffective. At any rate her doctor won't let her go as far overdue as I was, it's not considered proper practice now. I think 10 days is the limit they go by. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I was born 3 weeks late and my husband was born 3.5 weeks late. I don't think a week past her due date is any reason to be induced. Maybe two weeks past or at least an ultrasound to make sure everything is still good.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:29 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• due dates are not always accurate. Its normal and fine to go past your guess date. I went 2 weeks past due. I did get a sonogram to check her fluid levels, but being induced is not necessary unless there are signs the baby is in danger, like no movement or low fluid levels
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 11:53 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My 3 year old was induced after being 5 days late my blood pressure was really high with him.
    LND

Answer by LND at 12:47 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Sure its fine!
    The OB will want to perform non-stress tests on the baby to be sure they are moving and responding well.
    Also, if you go too far beyond your due date the OB should do an ultrasound to check on the condition of the placenta.
    When I was 3 weeks overdue with my first child an ultrasound was done and it was found that the placenta was deteorating due to age so I had to be induced to protect my daughter from possible death.
    Talk with your OB about your wishes and how far they will let you go beyond your due date before intervening. Find out what sorts of monitoring they will do during that time.
    Best wishes to you!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:13 AM on Jul. 22, 2009