Is it ok to go past your due date?

I know someone who is a week past her due date, refusing induction, trying "home remedies". Is she not doing anything wrong or is it sheer stupidity?! (also posted in just for fun)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• She's not doing anything wrong. The due date is an estimation that could be two weeks off in either direction. They shouldn't try to induce her before 42 weeks because of that. Let her do all the home remedies she wants, so long as they aren't going to hurt the baby. She can walk, drink water, have sex... Whatever she pleases to try to do it naturally instead of with drugs. There's no problem with that.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 11:14 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I was due May 18 delivered June 5, 18 days past my due date. That long past due is bad. I got an infection and a fever and had to be in the hospital myself for almost a week past when I was supposed to leave at three days. Hopefully your friend will deliver soon. I had no contractions until the day my plus came out which was four days before my baby was born. I'm sure her doc or midwife is keeping a good eye on here. Is she going in every few days for checkup?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Anywhere from 38 to 42 weeks is considered full term. Past 42 weeks I'd start worrying, but not at 41. Here they won't even look at inducing until you are 7 days past due (aside from medical reasons).
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:35 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I was almost 43 weeks before I had my first... >< she was born healthy though and I didn't have any problems - I had a c-section though.
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 12:55 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Shes not doing anything wrong, a due date is an estimation and the middle of normal human gestation (38-42 weeks). There is no reason to induce just because you are over the due date. Here induction is not even considered untill you hit 43 weeks (after 42 full weeks) and even then it is only done when there are real signs that the baby needs to be out.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 3:40 PM on Jul. 21, 2009