I am torn between getting my IUD removed to try for our second child within the next six months. My hubby and I are proud parents to a nine month old baby girl and he really wants a boy. My mother wants me to finish my degree first or get a certification in something for career purposes before we try again...but should it matter what she thinks since I am married now??HELP

MrsJStearns

Asked by MrsJStearns at 11:15 AM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• You can do both. :0)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• honestly, i think its a good idea to have a degree or a career first. its tough to afford things today and having another child is gonna cost alot more. and what if something ever happened to your husband? you need to be able to support you and your two kids. i know i will be finishing my degree before i have another child, i wanted to finish it before i had my first but it didnt work out that way.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:17 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• i dont think you can do both. and your moms just trying to help you because im sure she loves you.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:18 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I agree with your mom. why try so soon any ways? what's the rush? schooling is important. after more children you man not be able to go back to school. family issues, daycare is more expensive with more than one child. and maybe you could try the online courses now that your baby is so young.
    4purplelion

Answer by 4purplelion at 11:21 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• It seems sensible to me to ensure your and your family's future by making sure that you can provide for them if needed. Then add to your family without needing to wonder about it.

Answer by Bmat at 11:23 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• It's not your moms decision. It is yours and your hubbys! You guys figure out what you want to do and go for it! If you wait until you can afford a child, you will never be able to. Having kids close in age is great!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:24 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Get your degree first..you can always have a baby after you get your degree. Babies take up so much time and energy and having two so close together is even more challenging. You have plenty of time for babies in the future, listen to your mom.

sararsara

Answer by sararsara at 11:48 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Your mom is thinking about your wellfare because you are, and always will be, her baby. What she is saying does make a lot of sense. In the end it's your and your husband's call, but you should at least listen to your mom and consider what she has to say (she wants the best for you). Also, if you live with your mom or she supports you in any other way (regular free babysitting) then her opinion should have a lot more weight.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:02 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• i think it is YOUR & you hubby's decision. i know it's hard not to listen to moms! haha - let me just say, i had my kids close together & i love it! they are best friends! good luck with whatever you decide to do! and just remember...you can always continue school after you have your baby.
    giffer

Answer by giffer at 12:15 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• It is your decision. But you should always think about what's relevant and best. Multiple kids is tough. Close in age is tougher. Having a family w/out financial security is risky and can get very scary. You have the ability to wait (the IUD is already there). You should take advantage of that and use your time wisely. Take time to focus on your one baby. Have the option of going to school. Being married isn't a reason to give up on education or just go right into speedy baby making. Lol. You have plenty of time.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:36 PM on Jul. 21, 2009